Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RealWild

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2010
Hi guys! Can anyone tell me, can I jb and unlock 4g without activating it first??? If so, how can I do it? Thank youuu

hackthatphone

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2010
You need to activate it.

The following SIMs will activate an iPhone 4 in the USA:

an inactive AT&T SIM, and inactive Cingular SIM, a GoPhone SIM, a Net10 SIM, and an O2 SIM. I have used all of these SIMs to activate an iPhone 4 from a freshly restored state.

Kayan

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
CA
You need to activate it.

an inactive AT&T SIM, and inactive Cingular SIM, a GoPhone SIM, a Net10 SIM, and an O2 SIM. I have used all of these SIMs to activate an iPhone 4 from a freshly restored state.

Does "a freshly restored state" differ in any way from a brand new never used iPhone 4? In other words, each of these methods will also work with first-time activation iPhone 4's?

RealWild

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2010
Im not in USA now, I brougt 4g to my friend, and now he cant jb it, everytime he connects it to iTunes, it gives some sort of error.... I have my at&t sim with me, but I dont want to cut it just to activate that phone....
Any ideas?!!!!
p.s. I dont know if will help, but 4g came with sim, i did it as an early upgrade for my phone....

Derkatwork

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2010
Milwaukee
You need to activate it.

Ok, here's what I think is the plan of action. Forgive me as I'm new to this iphone business. I have a new iphone 4 which I got without a contract. I am not currently interested in using it as a phone and paying AT&T's prices. I do however want to jailbreak it. So I grab a small prepaid SIM from AT&T and when that is done I just never refill it. I then take safari (on the iphone) over to jailbreakme.com.

That's it? I didn't know about the SIM card part so thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.