Activation code problems

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by HOY!, Oct 11, 2010.

1. HOY! macrumors newbie

Hey yall.

In bootcamp I got all the way to the part where I have to enter in my windows activation code during the windows installation. I just realized however that the code I have is wrong, and I can only get it from the guy I bought the copy from tomorrow.
    My question is, can I just shut down my laptop and start from the partition with no problems once I have the code?

Thanks

2. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

What version of Windows are you using? If you're using Windows Vista or 7, you can leave the product key entry blank and continue to your desktop with 30 days before you have to activate Windows.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

And you can extend said 30 days up to 3 times for a total of 120 days. If your activation code is an upgrade code you may also have to apply a registry modification or install W7 over your current install again.

B

4. HOY! thread starter macrumors newbie

It's actually windows xp. I already turned it off last night. Now whenever I turn it on, it automatically decides to boot from the windows installation, even when there isn't a disc in my mac. I can still get to OSX by holding option. I'm assuming that once I get my code, I can just go into boot camp, click install windows, and it will resume properly?

5. HOY! thread starter macrumors newbie

All right new question.
    I got the activation code and installed windows. Upon start up though, when it gets to the login page, it says I need a password in order to log in. If I just click enter without entering one in, it says
    "The system cannot log you on due to the following error: The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted. Please try again or consult your system administrator."
    Is this a standard error message for an incorrect password? Or is something else wrong? Also, why is it asking me for a password? (I didn't ask it to have one).

I am booting with an OEM XP SP1A slipstreamed with SP2 if that helps.

6. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

This sounds as if the OEM installations have to be made into a specific domain. If you are not authorized to that domain you can probably forget that Windows copy.

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

It does sound like it may be preinstalled to a particular domain. If you were not prompted during install for an local admin password it too may be set by the installer. In which case I agree with the above, you're basically out of luck.

If you did set a local admin password, you should still be able to log on locally by changing the third box in the logon box to the name of the machine.

B