Activation day Armageddon?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bob5820, Jun 19, 2010.

?

Activation day Armageddon?

Poll closed Jun 28, 2010.
  1. Surprisingly not bad

10 vote(s)
    12.7%
  2. Same old story

20 vote(s)
    25.3%
  3. Epic Fail

49 vote(s)
    62.0%
  1. bob5820 macrumors 6502a

bob5820

Given the frustration many of us had with the pre-launch and the poor execution of the initial few days (or weeks) of activation on previous iPhone launches what is everyones expectations for the 24th?

I'm leaning towards epic fail. The poor implementation of the pre-order doesn't leave me with a warm fuzzy feeling. I think that both Apple and ATT seriously underestimated demand, and I question ATT's ability, or desire, to beef things up over the last week.

2. PorterRocks macrumors 6502

PorterRocks

That's exactly why I'm showing up for my reservation at 6am. The earlier the better.

3. nparmelee macrumors 6502

The 3G was the absolute worst launch day, it didn't help that they released a new iTunes version and the new OS all on the same day as the new phone. Not as many went to the 3GS from the 3G and there were still some issues last year. I expect this year to be worse than last year but not nearly as bad as the 3G launch.

4. sparkomatic macrumors 6502a

sparkomatic

I'm hoping for the best. I mean, they know how many pre-orders they got. And, they have to realize the stores are gonna be packed through the weekend.

Let's all hope the week from pre-order date to launch date has given them enough time to prepare for all those phones that are gonna want to get activated on Thursday!

5. PorterRocks macrumors 6502

PorterRocks

I just remembered the 600,000 pre-orders. That and the reservations, plus all those that didn't pre-order or reserve...

I'm betting close to 1,000,000 activations on the 24th. :eek:

6. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Worldwide.;)

7. elephunkman macrumors 65816

I left the store during the 3G launch exactly 10 minutes before hell broke loose.

8. billyjoegibsonx macrumors 6502

Im getting in early as possible, then home soon as possible and try activating. And wont back down till its up an running :)

9. PorterRocks macrumors 6502

PorterRocks

Haha! Yeah, I shouldn't post when I'm still groggy in the morning. :(

10. Stankonia macrumors regular

Hahaha, wishful thinking :cool:

If AT&T/Apple didn't bother to prepare for the flood of pre-orders when it was known demand would be high, I am not expecting them to prepare for activations either.

Why spend money to reduce hassles when they can just pretend they did something and claim "oh demand was even greater than expected!" and wait a day or two for everything to die down.

11. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

I've never had a problem. Maybe it's just been good timing. Whether it's been preordering or activating, I've never had an issue. But since I'm not activating it until the evening of the 24th, I would imagine most of rush will have passed by then.

12. BrownManUPS macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

This is a good point -- and probably will be the same crap, maybe a little more improved.

13. MecPro macrumors 6502

Japan/EU countries will set it off first! I feel sorry for the guys in US!