Activation Error updating to iOS 7.0.4

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by endlightend, Jan 23, 2014.

1. endlightend macrumors member

After working on this for the last few hours, I am exhausted and frustrated.

I'm trying to upgrade my dad's iPhone 4 from iOS 5 to the latest version of iOS 7. I was trying to do it from his PC at first, but between trying to get his computer to actually recognize his iPhone and error messages over and over, I just decided to do it from my MBP.

His Phone was backed up and already put into recovery mode because it got halfway through activation before being interrupted by an error. I connected via USB to my MBP and clicked restore... good news was that it did at least get upgraded to iOS 7, but now I'm getting the error in iTunes

We're sorry, we are unable to continue with your activation at this time.
    Please try again later, or contact customer care.

and the same on his Phone as it tries to go through setup.

I'm seeing a bunch of people with this issue during the iOS 7 beta, but none recently. Anyone know a fix for this?
    It says contact customer care but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to contact Apple or Verizon.

Thanks.

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Don't upgrade his iPhone 4 to iOS 7.0. You won't be able to go back if it runs too slow for your taste.

3. endlightend thread starter macrumors member

Armen, thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, it's been done and I'm not sure downgrading is an option. It was really about trying to see if we could get his iPhone 4 viable and compatible with the apps that he wants to use. Unless I can get it working now, it's looking like we might just have to upgrade his hardware..

4. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

new hardware is always good :)

5. sbailey4 macrumors 68030

sbailey4

You dont need iTunes to activate the device anymore. However make sure you have the latest version 11.1.x as iOS 7 requires the newest version of iTunes. Anyway you should be able to activate the device standalone. Disconnect from iTunes then boot the phone. If it does not activate automatically try dialing
    *228 then select option 1. Listen to any messages that are played. Verizon is who you would need to call typically if that does not work.

6. endlightend thread starter macrumors member

Okay, went to the Apple Store today. They told me that I needed to call Verizon as well. Still somewhat frustrated as upgrading iOS7 has been killing off all my devices left and right and then I am being asked to pay out of warranty for replacements/repair...

7. sbailey4 macrumors 68030

sbailey4

Did you try the *228 option 1?

8. endlightend thread starter macrumors member

Wasn't able to reach that through the welcome menu because only emergency call was available. My dad was on the phone with verizon as well and they tried everything. They said the only option was to replace the phone.

9. sbailey4 macrumors 68030

sbailey4

Did you happen to try and install the 7.1 beta of the released 7.0.4 ? The issue you are describing sounds like perhaps that's the problem. Beta needs UDID registered before it will activate. Also you can try a DFU restore and see if that will wipe out what ever issue if its something on the device causing it.