Activation fee and month discounts when not bought at AT&T?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by curtishd, Jun 18, 2009.

1. curtishd macrumors member

So I work for a company that gets free activation and a month discount on my service plan BUT how does this work if I buy from Apple store, Best Buy or Walmart? Do I activate it in the store or what? Please explain the process of activating the phones (I am getting 2 for a family plan). Also, how do I port my Sprint numbers over if bought from the above stores? Thank you.

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Best bet, as the service is with AT&T, is to go there and activate it in store.

3. curtishd thread starter macrumors member

I know but I was hoping to avoid the crowds (best I can at least) by not going to the ATT store besides they said they will have a limited stock.

4. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Call customer service at AT&T and explain the situation. Perhaps they can apply the discount to you plan, allowing you to activate via iTunes. Call tonight, though - they'll be busy tomorrow.

5. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Free (waived) activation usually applies only to the primary line. This is billed to your account, so if you already have a Natonal Account Discount (NAD) due to a Foundation Account Number (FAN) being attached to your account, you are all set and the proper action will be taken by AT&T as they complete their portion of the activation regardless of where you purchase the iPhones.

You can start the port the numbers at to Point of Sale (POS) at any of the retail choices or you can just activate with a temp AT&T number and port anytime within 30 days for now additional charge. If you order for home delivery you can accomplish all of the steps from your couch.

Dave