Activation follows mouse, possible?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by chelsel, Sep 19, 2007.

1. chelsel macrumors 6502

Switching from Windows to Mac... one annoyance is that you must usually click on a window to 'activate it' before you can start interacting with the controls on the window...

Is there a way to activate a window so that as soon as I initiate a text-select or button-click it happens without having to click the window first?

2. chelsel thread starter macrumors 6502

Is there no way to do this? It seems like a click-fest using my Mac, especially in a multi-monitor setup... this is such a small usability feature that the Mac must incorporate it... anyone?

3. Mumford macrumors regular

The terminology you want to search for is "focus follows mouse". I was able to find one program (MondoMouse) on versiontracker that enables this.

4. chelsel thread starter macrumors 6502

tried that... not exactly what I'm looking for but thanks for the recommendation. The problem with MondoMouse is that it raises the windows... I don't want the windows to raise, just allow focus to the window for an event, such as a click or keypress.

This isn't a major issue, just an annoyance. In Windows I actually operate in single-click mode... so starting applications from a folder or desktop only requires one click (like using links in a web browser)... so I'm even more accustomed to not a lot of clicking when using Windows.

Cliff.

5. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

I've never used such a feature on any OS, I don't see the usefulness in it (or maybe I'm just too used to Exposé, command-`, and other shortcuts), but one thing you can do in OS X is use command-click to perform some actions to a window that's in the background, such as scrolling and text selecting. This won't activate the window.