Activation in-store required for iPhone 4 subsidized pricing?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Murkurial, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Murkurial macrumors newbie

I know that purchasing an iPhone at the subsidized prices will result in the extension of one's contract but how exactly would they see to it that this is done w/o forcing you to activate in-store?

I ask because I'm leaving for Argentina soon and want to get the iPhone 4 at the $200 price point before I leave (phones in Argentina cost millions of dollars :p). I plan on jailbreaking and unlocking it whenever the relevant software comes out (along with doing the whole cutting the SIM thing) but in the meanwhile, would I be able to continue using my current iPhone (first gen) on the line that I am upgrading?

To lay it out, there are two lines on the account. Both due for an upgrade. Mom will upgrade her line to new iPhone and will activate and use as normal. I upgrade my line to new iPhone but don't activate and instead use current iPhone on that line until I leave and then give it to a sibling to take over the number (I don't think I have a choice but to give up my number). 1st gen phone doesn't have 3g so I have $20 unlimited plan. Agent already told me that an upgrade to the new iPhone will cause me to move over to one of the new data plans but I'm still unclear as to when I would have to choose the plan. At home via iTunes or what? Do they end up charging you the full amount of the phone if they find that you haven't upgraded your plan to one of the new ones (and indication that you aren't using the new iPhone yet)?

I was already told that in the event that I lose my iPhone 4 or it gets broken, or whatever, I can simply use another phone with an ATT SIM (or swap the micro-SIM and use an adapter), give the IMEI number and they'll register the phone and change the plan accordingly.

Could i continue to use the old iPhone w/ that line? I'm assuming that I could while waiting for the phone to arrive so why not after it gets here? I basically don't plan on touching the new iPhone until I get to Argentina but will still obviously be fine with extending the contract for another 2 years (is that all they care about?) since the number will be used by someone.

2. dave006 Contributor

dave006

If you purchase / pre-order online from Apple or AT&T your activation will be done at home. There is not a requirment to go the retail store.

In your specific case, if you don't want to open the iPhone 4 and activate the new Microsim. Just call AT&T Customer Care and explain that you want to complete the activation but not use the new iPhone 4. The Care rep can route to the Contract acceptance steps and complete the required contract steps on a phone call.

Just explain that you want to agree to the new terms on your line but you want to contiue to use your original iPhone and you will be able to retain your existing $20 iPhone Unlimited plan for your sibling to use while you are away and you can the switch to the $30 iPhone Unlimited plan when you return. If you don't go this route then you run the risk of losing your "existing" unlimited data plan access. You would normally have to upgrade to the standard iPhone 3G $30 data plan when you activate an iPhone 4 but since you are going to contiue to use the orginal iPhone you can just stay with that plan.

So in summary, you will have a new two-year service commitment and have the new $325 ETF on your line of service. You will also have your new unused iPhone 4 with an new unactivated Microsim.

Dave

3. Murkurial thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a ton for the quick reply.

Just a couple follow up Qs.

First off, I was told that I would have to upgrade to the new data plans (the $15 and $25 ones) with the new iPhone and since the 1st gen one doesn't have 3g I don't care if it stays at the $20 EDGE plan. Since I didn't have the 3G or the 3GS to begin w/ there is apparently no way for me to get the $30 unlimited at all. That's not a big deal for me, but is this "come back and re-establish the $30 unlimited plan" required for this to work?

Also, the $325 ETF fee? Are you saying that I will incur those costs? Or that said stipulation on my bill will be in effect?

Are you saying that it will or wont be possible for me to purchase the iPhone 4 at the subsidized price, not activate it, but agree to the new contract, and not have to pay the $325 fee?

It just seems like att would have a problem with me buying the new phone at the subsidized price, not activating it, and continuing to use the older phone still.

But you're saying that it's entirely possible w/o a fuss?

4. dave006 Contributor

dave006

AT&T does not care what you do with equipment once you agree to the new two-year service commitment.

No, you don't have to worry about the new ETF, I just wanted you to be aware of it since you would be agreeing to new contract terms.

The data plan issue has been discussed since AT&T announced it last week, AT&T has not provided a specific bullet point list that covers your situation but their reps have posted on Facebook that if you have a Smarphone Unlimited plan now then you can keep it.

source: http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/plans/data-plans.jsp

So here's the deal: if you are a current smartphone customer you're not required to switch to one of the new plans. However, if you'd like a data plan more tailored to your needs, you can switch to one of the two new plans we're introducing.

source: http://www.facebook.com/ATT#!/ATT?v=app_10442206389

The official AT&T reps on Facebook have also posted a number of times on the wall that if you have the original iPhone and you upgrade that you would only need to move to the existing iPhone $30 Unlimited plan. Since you are going to keep your existing iPhone and it's existing data plan there are no changes to your features. You should expect the $18 Upgrade fee but that's the only extra change.

Dave

5. Murkurial thread starter macrumors newbie

6. GoodPoint macrumors newbie

What a trip

Michael, you will not likely believe this, but I happen to be searching on the exact same question. Why such a coincidence? Because my one-way ticket to Buenos Aires is 14 days from now and I just finished wathcing the Steve Jobs video on iPhone 4. Thanks for eliciting the answers that you did.

Were there a way for us to email directly, I'd love to swap notes. Looks like there is an "email link" feature in the toolbar but I'm not sure if it protects my address.

7. GoodPoint macrumors newbie

Name Correction

MUrkurial, sorry, your name must have stuck in my head as Michael.

8. Murkurial thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't think that the link will reveal anything but I'll send my email address to you in a PM and you can do the same.

9. GoodPoint macrumors newbie

Pm

Assuming PM means "Private Message", I looked around for the option to do so, but didn't find it. Look forward to connecting.

10. Murkurial thread starter macrumors newbie

^

I think that you just have to click on my username here in this thread and a menu should pop up. One of the the options is "send this user a private message," or something to that effect.

11. GoodPoint macrumors newbie

No PM

I get three options but none are to send a PM. Mabye there is a setting where you chose to allow or dissallow. Or maybe it becomes active for "buddies." Or maybe I'm just missing it.

12. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

Not enough posts yet buddy

13. Murkurial thread starter macrumors newbie

It won't allow me to send you one either...

...but now I know why.

GoodPoint, I can send you my email addy in an email but you're not currently accepting those. Let me know when you make that change to your user options and I'll send it through.

14. GoodPoint macrumors newbie

Option Changed

The option has been changed. Look forward to hearing from you.

15. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

16. 4freaks macrumors newbie

How can I purchase iPhone 4 without activating it?

There must be a way to get an iPhone 4 without having it activated. Or maybe having them activate it and then un-doing the activation after the fact.
    Any ideas?

17. guitargoddsjm macrumors 6502

IIRC, my phone came unactivated. I had to call into an AT&T number to get it on the network. This is how people get these phones at subsidized prices and then sell them on eBay.

Keep in mind, if you get an iPhone for $200/$300, you'll still extend your contract by 2 years. Even if you don't activate.

18. 4freaks macrumors newbie

I know there is a 30 day return policy on iPhones, so it seems like I could maybe purchase a phone and establish a new line, then go back and return it and they would just cancel the new line?