activation iphone with pre-paid ATT?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by siltears, Aug 5, 2010.

1. siltears macrumors newbie

So I have read that you need a AT&T account to activate your iphone, otherwise you can't use your phone to unlock it. So i was wondering, would it work if i just went to an AT&T store and bought a pre-paid SIM card? Does anyone know how much that would cost? I know its about 10$ for Tmobile SIM card...can I use that to do the Unlock?

Also...I'm a bit confused as to how to go between jailbreaking and unlocking.
    If I use jailbreakme.com, to jailbreak, how to I get cydia and unlock?

Sorry, I know these are sorta bad questions, but I checked the guide that is stickynoted, but it was about 2g and 3gs..so if someone can point me in the right direction?

2. dieburnbot macrumors 6502a

dieburnbot

When you use jailbreakme.com it'll install Cydia for you. As for the activating with a prepaid AT&T sim I don't think that will work. My girlfriend is using a gophone sim in her 3G and the phone wouldn't recognize it until ultrasn0w (unlock) was installed. T-Mobile I can say almost definitely won't work.

What phone do you have? You might be able to use redsn0w to do the jailbreak/hacktivation without needing an AT&T sim.

3. hexonxonx macrumors 601

An AT&T GoPhone sim will activate a 3G and 3GS iPhone without unlocking. I never had any issue using a GoPhone sim in either of these phones for a year.

The iPhone 4 is different and will require some different steps to activate it.

If this is a brand new iPhone 4, it can not be activated for the first time with a GoPhone sim. It needs a new unactivated sim and will need to be activated for the first time using the SS#, billing zip and phone number that was used to purchase that iPhone 4 at the store. After that first time, it can be uses with a GoPhone sim.

4. siltears thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't have an iphone yet, but i wanted to buy the new iphone 4. But the thing is I don't have any service in the states, except the tmobile pre-paid SIM that my parents are using. And the thing is I really don't want a ATT account. So I was wondering, when you say a blank SIM card, will that be included in the Iphone package? Will it automatically force me to buy a ATT plan?

5. droid15 macrumors newbie

So your saying I can have an iphone 3gs on a prepaid plan.

6. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Yes, a 3G and 3GS will activate on a prepaid AT&T card with no problems.

7. Gadget Strategy macrumors newbie

Gadget Strategy

If you don't want to jailbreak your iPhone 4, you can buy it officially unlocked from any Apple Store in Canada. You'd have to cut your T-Mobile SIM card to fit the new Micro SIM format that IPh 4 uses.