Activation issue with sold Verizon Iphone X

Mhotep

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2011
So I sold my extra Verizon Iphone 64gb. The buyer has the phone and can't activate it. The phone was purchased full price from the Apple store and sold unopened. When the buyer put his sim in to activate he gets a message saying it needs to be activated and needs zip, last 4 of social to activate to new account. Buyer reports he has contacted Verizon and they say the same thing, I don't feel comfortab;le giving out my SSN. Anyone else having this issues with a sold Iphone? Any thoughts welcome.

rockonz

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2017
The phone cannot be accessed until you give them that information. I thought it wouldn't ask for it if a new SIM would be put in and the phone was then turned on but regardless, its Verizon's way of safeguarding the phones. This is on you as you should of activated it before selling. Now, you have to give them the info you used when making the purchase and it will work.

missbing

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2015
You can request to meet up with the person so you can enter your information yourself. I would suggest meeting at Verizon so everything is taken care of this time around.

Reactions: BugeyeSTI

noobinator

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Pasadena, CA
You can request to meet up with the person so you can enter your information yourself. I would suggest meeting at Verizon so everything is taken care of this time around.
That'd be nice but they probably sold it online. And I'd not be in a hurry to go out of my way to meet up with someone in person (again).

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
So I sold my extra Verizon Iphone 64gb. The buyer has the phone and can't activate it. The phone was purchased full price from the Apple store and sold unopened. When the buyer put his sim in to activate he gets a message saying it needs to be activated and needs zip, last 4 of social to activate to new account. Buyer reports he has contacted Verizon and they say the same thing, I don't feel comfortab;le giving out my SSN. Anyone else having this issues with a sold Iphone? Any thoughts welcome.
Since you purchased it via your Verizon account, your information is required to activate the phone. If you sold it locally meet the buyer and input your data.

missbing

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2015
I can't remember whether Verizon allows the use of a pin instead of SS #. If so, give your pin for them to use, then change it later.

Mhotep

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2011
The weird thing is I have an account with Tmobile and was able to have it try to activate several times, then it gave up and finished the set up process and activated with Tmobile fine without issues. Any help is appreciated, really want to help the buyer. Thanks guys.

Lobwedgephil

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2012
The weird thing is I have an account with Tmobile and was able to have it try to activate several times, then it gave up and finished the set up process and activated with Tmobile fine without issues. Any help is appreciated, really want to help the buyer. Thanks guys.
It is simple and easy, he needs that information from you, or you have to give him a refund and he ships the phone back to you.

Reactions: Hankster and Mhotep

Cmd-Z

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2014
Coyote, CA
Just went through this myself, though the X was assigned to my kid's line when I bought direct from Apple. Upon receipt I thought I could just swap SIMs and be on my way, but Apple support told me that the X was locked by Verizon to the line I selected when I made the purchase. I had to activate the X to the other line, then swap lines using Verizon's online tool (which involved swapping SIMs at the end of the process).

Activating a Verizon line does require the last 4 SSN digits, and PIN.

Reactions: Mhotep

FunkyTang

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
They can’t do anything with the last four digits of your SS#. Just give it to them and then go to Verizon and get a new SIM for yourself as your phone service will switch to the new SIM.

Reactions: Mhotep

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
People have told you what you need to do, yet you won't listen. Seems you only want to read the advice you want to read. The phone you purchased was through your account, so the buyer needs your info. Besides, it's only your zip and last four SSN. It's not like the buyer will have your mailing address, DOB or full SSN.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona
As others have said, meet the person and input the info yourself, provide the info to said person or refund their money.

dalagatan

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2017
Hi Mhotep - what did you end up doing? I am in the same situation with an AT&T phone. I'd be fine giving the buyer the information needed, but I am afraid that would activate my phone service on his iPhone X. Thanks!

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
They can’t do anything with the last four digits of your SS#. Just give it to them and then go to Verizon and get a new SIM for yourself as your phone service will switch to the new SIM.
Partly true in regards to the Last 4 of SS#. Several companies ask to verify your name, address, then last 4 of social when managing your account over the phone or in an online chat. I, myself, wouldn’t be 100% comfortable giving the info since the OP’s buyer may have most of his info listed on a shipping label.

But that’s only because I’ve had my checking account hacked 3 seperate times for around $3500 before I noticed.

KPOM

macrumors G5
Oct 23, 2010
I’d have him ship the phone back to you on your dime. Activate it then ship it back to him.

Next time have Apple sell you the phone device only. That way the IMEI never hits Verizon’s network and you can activate it with any SIM card.

Hopefully once Verizon decommissions its CDMA network after 2019 they stop acting like a CDMA carrier and just do things the way AT&T and other native GSM carriers do.