Activation issue

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iMasterWeb, Jun 24, 2010.

1. iMasterWeb macrumors regular

I'm trying to activate my new iPhone 4. Synced it with iTunes and everything went well, but I still had "No service" at the top left. Rebooted, and got the "waiting for activation this may take some time" notification. Then I went to http://att.com/activations and went through all the steps. After the part where it asks for the last four digits of your SS, I got this error:

ACT036: We are unable to process your transaction at this time. We apologize for the inconvenience. You may contact our Customer Care department at 1-800-331-0500 or dial 611 from your wireless phone.

I might end up just bringing it to my ATT store, because I don't really want to call (IDK why) and they'll sync my contacts from my old phone. Just wondering if anyone has any other advice.

2. CIA macrumors 6502a

Activations can take up to an hour. You just need to be patient. Shutting off the phone and turning it back on helps too...

3. iMasterWeb thread starter macrumors regular

It's been about two hours.

4. robbieofcourse macrumors newbie

5. farmermac macrumors 6502a

Having activation issue too. It's been 3+ hours and still not letting me use the phone / de-activating the old phone. Called AT&T & activated over the phone and it's still not working, 1 hour later.

6. kirchnrd macrumors 6502

kirchnrd

Same issue here, and it has been 3 hours now. I know there are "600,000" activations happening, so will wait it out another hour or so before calling.

7. churchrd macrumors member

They activated my phone at the mall, but i still had no service an hour later. But my old 3g lost it's service right away too. I powered down both phones then powered up the I4 and then right away it confirmed being activated and found 3g.

8. corriewf macrumors 6502a

Mine was activated 4 hours ago but I still can't make phone calls. I am starting to wonder if everything is ok.

9. hAkron macrumors newbie

I activated by calling 611. That was like 45 minutes ago. My 3G still has service, and my iphone 4 still has no service. I'm not surprised, just anxious to get this thing going.

10. Chip Chanko macrumors member

Chip Chanko

11. iMasterWeb thread starter macrumors regular

Every time I try that, I get the error I mentioned above... :(

12. beebo87 macrumors member

try starting over? i got my phone from best buy. they couldn't activate for me in store. but as soon as i left the store my old phone lost its service. as soon as i got home and plugged my iphone into itunes it said activated...

13. iMasterWeb thread starter macrumors regular

But it's already synced with iTunes...

14. corriewf macrumors 6502a

Same problem here.

15. brdwygurl macrumors regular

I had the same issues yesterday.

What finally worked was going under "settings" and resetting all settings. The Phone powered off, then on again with the apple logo. Turning the phone off wasn't enough. Then they reactivated while I was on the phone and it worked immediately.

worth a shot

16. robbieofcourse macrumors newbie

I think this is what ended up working for me. Thanks.

17. gordita macrumors member

ok I went through the same issues as the OP.
    here's what worked for me.
    I called 866-895-1099 and spoke with a rep.
    the process took about 5 minutes and I'm up and running with my iphone as of 2 minute ago.

so forget about activating it online, just call the 866 number.

when u call, you accept the terms and conditions which is vital to enabling the account.

also, they were able to port over from my existing BB personal unlimited data plan to iphone UNLIMITED data plan!
    this plain n simple rocks!
    at the at&t store, they were adamant this would not work and had me signup for the $25 2GB datapro plan which was disappointing.

so good luck to everyone who's trying to activate.
    remember, register the phone using iTunes first.
    after it is registered, call the 866 # and you are good to go.
    Edit: once u get the rep on the phone and they work their magic, they will give u a call on your iphone to validate activation. you don't have to wait 30 minutes or 4 hours for the phone to activate, it's instantaneous!

just shout out a thanks if this helps.

18. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

Mine went fine :D

Although I used the billing zipcode instead of SSN because I don't trust the internets.

19. Ace R. macrumors member

Had the same problem and what I did was reset network settings.

Settings/General/Reset/Reset Network Settings.

After the reboot I was good to go.

20. jettie1767 macrumors 6502

Had that issues this afternoon. Did the Live Chat thing and the rep took my IMEI and ICCID numbers. After that, she asked me to try the activation again and it all worked fine.