activation lock for old phones too?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by raiders007, Sep 18, 2013.

1. raiders007 macrumors newbie

hello all,

today ios 7 should be released. i must admit i tried the beta (as a non-developer) before and ran into a strange thing. i installed beta1 when it was released and updated to beta2 a bit later. just when the iphone alerted me that beta3 just got available, the activation lock screen dropped and the phone was rendered completely unusable stating the device was locked to the apple id l****@gmail.com and i should enter the passcode used to setup the phone.

now l****@gmail.com sounds like my ID, could be any other too though. it was impossible to activate with my password though. sometimes the device also stated it could not contact the activation servers. the iphone 4 was second hand so i have no clue how many hands this went through before. all i can say is that me and the owner before me have bought the phone legally.

after downgrading to ios6 everything went back to normal. now if anyone ever used find my iphone with this phone, will it be locked once i upgrade to ios7 or was this just a beta error? i could imagine that using a ripped beta from some random server that was maybe connected to some developer account made the phone think it was in wrong hands? i read in forums that people had the same problem but unlike me they were not able to fix the activation lock by downgrading.

now if the phone is really stolen, i'd gladly contact the owner and hand it back over. especially since in 2 months i'll get a new phone. until then i'd like to use this one, illegal or not. i still payed for it. but i'm also burning to install ios7 but am afraid i'll brick the phone.

what to do?

2. MinEderPlayz macrumors 6502a

MinEderPlayz

Update on iOS 7 in some hours. If this message appears which seems to belong to your Apple ID and its returning a server error still, you can hand it in to Apple support for additional information about the issue and for a fix. ;) At least at the Genius bar there'll listen someone.