Activation lock issue when downgrading/selling

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by bounce08, Jul 2, 2013.

1. bounce08, Jul 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2013

bounce08 macrumors member

Ok so I am currently running beta 2 but wish to sell my white 32GB iPhone 5 as want to buy a 64GB instead.

I obviously need to downgrade to 6.1.4 which isn't a problem but I've heard of issues about the activation lock causing issues.

When I sell the phone to someone else, they will obviously want to activate the phone with their own iTunes id - however if I restore to 6.1.4 a message appears stating that the device is registered to my iTunes account and requires my password/id. How do I remove this activation lock prior to selling? Is there an option in iTunes/iCloud somewhere after I login to my iTunes account?

Or do I just delete Find my iPhone and iCloud backup prior to downgrading to 6.1.4?

If no, it's going to be impossible to sell a phone second hand with iOS 7 installed! Thanks.

2. bounce08 thread starter macrumors member

Any ideas at all or is it as simple as just removing Find My iPhone and iCloud when I'm logged in to iTunes?

3. TC25 macrumors 68020

Restore to Factory option in iTunes.
    Select Setup as new
    Disconnect iPhone
    Remove your SIM
    Sell iPhone

4. mreddys10 macrumors regular

I think you need to sign out of iCloud and turn 'find my iPhone' off (which should ask you for your password again. Then, sign out of everything else like the store, turn iMessages off, etc. Then do a clean install of 6.1.4. Should be enough

5. bounce08 thread starter macrumors member

all fixed - simple really. Within the 'Find my iPhone' options in 'Settings' there is an option to turn off the activation lock. Solved!