Activation Lock Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macfanrutler, Jun 11, 2013.

1. macfanrutler macrumors regular

macfanrutler

So here's my question about the new feature to anyone that may have downloaded iOS 7; does it require the Apple ID and Password before deleting Find my iPhone and wiping the phone or after trying to activate it. I would assume by the name that it is when you are trying to reactivate the phone but you know what happens when you assume. If it is when you are trying to activate the phone, how exactly can I sell my phone? Do I have to put my ID into the phone before I give it to the buyer?

So many questions so little time.

2. moonman239 macrumors 68000

After you wiped it, it cannot be reactivated until someone types in your Apple ID and password.

3. macfanrutler thread starter macrumors regular

macfanrutler

So if it is before activating the phone then does it store that Apple ID and Password after you enter it. I am trying to figure out the resale value of a phone with iOS 7. If it retains the information then updating will kill the resale value.

4. madsci954 macrumors 68030

I would imagine if you disable Find My iPhone before wiping it, you won't need you iCloud info for reactivation. I don't have a dev account to confirm or deny this so if someone here does, please chime in.

5. powaking macrumors 6502

powaking

I assume this is what would need to be done if your intend on reselling the phone.

6. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

Here's the situation:

- If you have iCloud enabled with "Find my iPhone" turned to "ON" then when you click "Restore" on iTunes it asks you to turn "OFF" "Find my iPhone" and when you go into Settings - iCloud and click on Find my iPhone "OFF" it asks for your iCloud password (Obviously thief wouldn't have this unless of course you are smart enough to save your passwords in notes or rather something obvious lol)

now one thing I forgot to test (and wont be testing at least until next Beta version is released as I'm back on 6.1.4 due to iOS 7 Beta 1 being too laggy/buggy for me) is that if you put the iPhone in DFU or Recovery mode....can you restore it by passing the "Find my iPhone" turn "OFF" option....

7. PM-Performance macrumors 6502

This!
    Logic would tell me if it was turned on it needs the last acct to reactivate
    If the seller removed their login and signed out before wiping, then no issue and the new owner would setup as new.

I would really hope the 6 figure pay scale devs thought of this well before announcing the feature. Give them some credit lol