Activation Lock should make used iphone market interesting

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by triplelucky, Oct 10, 2013.

1. triplelucky macrumors regular

Should be interesting as millions of legitimate used IOS7 devices begin to appear on the secondary market with their previous owners having forgotten to turn off "find my iPhone"

2. Syndicate0017 macrumors 6502

It's already interesting with school supervised devices. iOS 7 broke the supervision profile in configurator when upgrading from iOS 6. Tons of devices now unsupervised and when they turn in one to get fixed and still have find my iPhone turned on, it's activation locked. Nightmare.

3. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

It should indeed make it more interesting. People will have to adapt the old methods of inspecting used phones before they purchase. Be curious to see how the used market reacts during the iPhone 6 launch next year.

BTW, I changed your thread title to include more info on your topic.

4. Nothlit macrumors regular

As long as you do "Erase All Content and Settings" before selling the phone, that is sufficient. That automatically turns off Find My iPhone and Activation Lock, so no need to do it separately.

Buyers need to learn to ask sellers to do this before they take possession of the phone. Sellers need to learn to do it without having to be asked. Personally, I've always done "Erase All Content and Settings" prior to selling my old phones, so I won't have to do anything different. (That's always been the most secure way of wiping any personal data from the phone, so the only reason I can think that people wouldn't do it is because they're simply not aware of the option.)