iPhone Activation Lock

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by skullz1987, Dec 13, 2013.

1. skullz1987 macrumors newbie

I've read up on the Activation Lock and understand the Pros and Cons of it and have recently run into one of the Cons.

I work for a university who supply iPhone's to their staff. One of these iPhones has come back to the IT Department to be reset, so it can be used by another member of staff.

We have now reset the iPhone but as it is still registered to the previous users iClould account we cannot proceed any further with it. The previous user has now left the university!

We are currently looking into all avenues (i.e. trying to locate a phone number / email address to contact the previous user, hacking the device somehow?, even smashing the phone against a brick wall - as it does seem to be a nice brick now!)

Is there anyway that I might be able to contact Apple in regards to this situation? Is there any workarounds that would be viable?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

2. chrfr macrumors 603

It's not a workaround for this situation but for the future, you need to be deploying organization owned iOS devices as managed devices to avoid this.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5927
    In this case, you'll need to talk to your Apple support reps to see what they suggest.

3. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

How do we know you actually work for a university? No offence but you could be somebody else. I doubt it is that hard to track down a former university user , unless you instantly dispose of their details the minute they walk out the door. I would also hope a university would have a more thorough system in place.

4. Thepoobear macrumors 6502

We're going to see a lot more of these threads...Id imagine few will be legit, and most will be thieves finding out the hard way that iPhones are best left alone now.

Edit: could have sworn that reseting a phone via "erase all content and settings" removes the activation lock...So I fail to see how this can happen to legit people.

5. Syndicate0017 macrumors 6502

You still need Apple ID and password to erase all content and settings on a device that has FMI enabled. All that option does is turn off FMI before restoring. Therefore avoiding activation lock.

6. VTECaddict macrumors 6502

You would think a major university IT department that deploys iOS devices would have a dedicated Apple Support contact person instead of having to ask people on a public forum... :rolleyes:

7. skullz1987 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks chrfr, I will see if we can look into this!

As I expected there are a few users that are a bit sceptical! As would I be! But what people need to realise is that businesses are run by people and the business is only as good as the people running it. There are also other excuses I could give like iOS7 is new out, it's gonna have teething problems, people are going to find issues with it, but enough of that!

Would like to thank the helpful people in this forum and to let them know that Apple do have an override (sort of).

After posting here I contacted Apple who first of all blankly said they do not have a solution to this problem. After a bit of deliberation, I got passed on to the supervisor who then proceeded to tell me that they do indeed have a procedure for this type problem.

You will need the IMEI, Serial, Proof of Purchase, User Info, Owner Info, and a Reason.

I am still in talks with Apple regarding this issue but will keep you all updated.

8. Xenomorph macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

You can erase a device with Find my iPhone / Activation Lock enabled.

Just put it in DFU mode, then restore.

It's still locked-down, but it is also erased.

9. Syndicate0017 macrumors 6502

While this is true, that has nothing to do with my post. I was talking about the erase all content and settings option through the settings menu.

10. tvotony macrumors regular

The phone is still no good it will be locked by that old user. I tried this with my 5s to see if the "unstealable" method was true and it turns out to be perfect.

11. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Thank you. Also, it a step should be added to your provisioning / recovery process where the user Erases all Content and Settings when they return the phone. If they sign a contract to receive the phone you could add verbiage where they will be billed for the cost of the phone plus costs if they return a locked phone.

Same advice for people buying a used phone. Make the seller do it while you stand there and before you pay for it. :)

12. skullz1987 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am sorry to say that the case with Apple has now been closed. We were able to get the previous user to remove the device from their iCloud account.

At least there is hope for the genuine Activation locked iPhones out there!

If it is legit contact Apple with the info I posted above and you should be fine!

Cheers for help guys!

13. dave420 macrumors 65816

And what help could you provide if they did confirm they were working with a university? None really. There aren't any known ways to bypass the activation lock, other than to enter your password or contact Apple or your insurance provider to see what they recommend.

I am glad to hear you got the issue resolved in this case. I'd be interested to see somebody who got Apple to help them bypass activation lock on a device that they can prove they own. I'm sure it must be possible if you contact Apple and have all the necessary documentation.

14. vasili0s macrumors member

Activation Lock

do you possess the proof of purchase or anyone within the dept?

if so contact apple send it their way and within a few business days will unlock it remotely.

otherwise, you've got a problem.

15. C DM macrumors Westmere

Seems like the issue has already been addressed.