Activation Locked iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JWalker1995, May 20, 2015.

1. JWalker1995 macrumors regular

Hi,

My friend has given me an iPhone, but he has forgetting his iCloud Passcode so the phone is activation locked to his account. I have reset it and hit the activation lock screen. Will Apple be able to unlock this at a store or should I ring AppleCare?

This phone is not stolen. He has proof of purchase with receipts and details, and the serials numbers on the receipt match that of the device. I do not agree with breaking stolen iPhone, please don't comment saying that the forum doesn't support thieves, I am not a thief.

Thanks
    James

2. SpasticPat macrumors 6502

SpasticPat

I don't think Apple is able to crack the activation lock. Is your friend able to possibly have their iCloud password reset? From Apple:

If the previous owner is not present
    Make sure the device is powered on and connected to a Wi-Fi or cellular network. Then contact the previous owner and ask them to follow these steps to remove the device from their account:
    Sign in to their iCloud account at www.icloud.com/find.
    Click All Devices to open a list of devices linked to their account, then select the device to be removed.
    Click the Erase button to erase all content and settings from the device. When prompted, don't enter a phone number or message. Click Next until the device is erased.
    When the erase is complete, click "Remove from Account" to remove the device from the account.
    After the device is erased and removed from the account, you can proceed with the device setup process.

I don't see anything about being able to bypass without the previous owner first removing from their account.

3. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

You could try taking the iPhone and your friend to an Apple Store to see what they recommend - be sure to bring all relevant documentation with you. It certainly can't hurt, the worst that could happen is that they cannot help.

As SpasticPat mentioned, perhaps they could at least help your friend restore his account. That would allow him to remove the iPhone from his account and free it up for your use.

4. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Can't he reset his Apple ID password?

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Correct.
    If it's really his "friends" iphone it will only take a few minutes to reset the password that he "forgot".

6. akron33 macrumors newbie

I hope you were equally as skeptical at Bob Kraft and Tom.

Anyways. Your if you have the receipt, take your friend into your local Apple Store. Make sure your friend has his ID and they will be able to take off the activation lock on the phone. Not 100% sure if you need the ID because I've seen an Apple Store manager take it off with just proof of purchase.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol:D
    Good one Goodell!

8. niji macrumors 6502a

niji

is there also Find My iPhone activated?

anyway, if the apple iCloud password is not able to be entered then the only way is to do a Restore, using iTunes - if the iPhone had already made a backup to iTunes.

if there is no backup in iTunes then this fon is as good as toast.

and no, apple will not (actually, it claims to all of us that it can not) restore your phone without the password.

9. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

Yeah, that's what I was wondering. What happened to password reset emails.

Fishy, fishy...

But seriously, does your friend not have access to that email account?

None of this makes sense.