Activation of Desired App

Discussion in 'Apple TV Apps' started by FwJ99015, Jan 10, 2016.

1. FwJ99015 macrumors newbie

Recently purchased Apple TV (4th Gen) and now realize I can not get the highly desired TV Apps such as NBC Sports Live Extra without a provider. My hope was to cut the cord only to realize that without a provider, it's not possible. I realize that it's a rights issue that Apple was not able to secure but was wondering if there is anything I'm missing. Is there any way to activate these Apps without a "provider" and still enjoy APPLETV to the fullest.
    I thank you for your responses.

2. bumbo macrumors regular

bumbo

I don't think you're missing anything - it was like this on ATV3 if I remember correctly.
    These aren't stand-alone sub apps, they are extensions to a subscription so you'll need an account with a provider. Same for things like HBO Now, WatchESPN etc etc...

3. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

Most content (if not all) requires some type of subscription. I am personally not concerned with who I pay for it. I just want the Apple TV to access it. One advantage with the Apps is you can share a login with maybe a family member. Netflix CEO recently said they do not care if people share login's.
    I still get CABLE TV but I do not use the STB's from them. I also use Hulu (no commercials) for a lot of channels I used to record with a DVR. I do hope Apple comes out with a subscription service that is really great (without commercials like Hulu) but I do not expect the cost to be much different then getting the content from other sources. But love the competition.

4. FwJ99015 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! I suspected as much.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 11, 2016 ---
    Mike: Thank You! I also hope that Apple will provide a subscription. I would love to see one where we can pick and choose the content instead of the bundle system of sat / cable. I watched the nationwide Apple TV add yesterday touting the advantages of Apple TV. I sure hope there will be an announcement forthcoming. I'm ready to sign up! Again, I thank you!