Activation of Desired App

Discussion in 'Apple TV Apps' started by FwJ99015, Jan 10, 2016.

1. FwJ99015 macrumors newbie

Jan 10, 2016
    Recently purchased Apple TV (4th Gen) and now realize I can not get the highly desired TV Apps such as NBC Sports Live Extra without a provider. My hope was to cut the cord only to realize that without a provider, it's not possible. I realize that it's a rights issue that Apple was not able to secure but was wondering if there is anything I'm missing. Is there any way to activate these Apps without a "provider" and still enjoy APPLETV to the fullest.
    I thank you for your responses.
  2. bumbo macrumors regular

May 6, 2009
    I don't think you're missing anything - it was like this on ATV3 if I remember correctly.
    These aren't stand-alone sub apps, they are extensions to a subscription so you'll need an account with a provider. Same for things like HBO Now, WatchESPN etc etc...
  3. d21mike macrumors 68040

Jul 11, 2007
    Torrance, CA
    Most content (if not all) requires some type of subscription. I am personally not concerned with who I pay for it. I just want the Apple TV to access it. One advantage with the Apps is you can share a login with maybe a family member. Netflix CEO recently said they do not care if people share login's.
    I still get CABLE TV but I do not use the STB's from them. I also use Hulu (no commercials) for a lot of channels I used to record with a DVR. I do hope Apple comes out with a subscription service that is really great (without commercials like Hulu) but I do not expect the cost to be much different then getting the content from other sources. But love the competition.
  4. FwJ99015 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 10, 2016
    Thanks! I suspected as much.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 11, 2016 ---
    Mike: Thank You! I also hope that Apple will provide a subscription. I would love to see one where we can pick and choose the content instead of the bundle system of sat / cable. I watched the nationwide Apple TV add yesterday touting the advantages of Apple TV. I sure hope there will be an announcement forthcoming. I'm ready to sign up! Again, I thank you!