Activation of iPhone4

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Bijiont, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Bijiont macrumors newbie

Sep 16, 2010
    Hello Everyone,

I have been a long time lurker of MacRumors and have registered to confirm something before I spend a hefty amount of cash.

I am looking to purchase an iPhone 4 and use it on my already existing AT&T plan. My AT&T plan already has unlimited data and all the works so data usage wise I am set. I have been doing swaps to unlocked GSM phones for years, heck my AT&T plan still shows I have a Sony Ericsson S710a.

Here are my questions as I know the iPhone activation is different;

- I already cut my SIM down to micro using a cutting tool but can I just place the SIM card in and go or does the iPhone still require activation via iTunes?

- If activation is required will it try and change my standard plan into one of the "iPhone Only" plans?

Long term I will JB the iPhone eventually but I am more worried about the activation process as I have never done it myself and this isn't like my prior GSM unlock swaps where you plug in the SIM and your good.

I did some google searching and pretty sure I know what needs to happen however would feel much better with some community feedback or links to accurate sources.

2. theITGuy macrumors 6502a

Feb 12, 2009
    chasing the ghost in the machine
    When I ordered my iPhone 4 through Apple it asked me if I wanted to keep my unlimited plan from AT&T that I have since the original iPhone...I chose to downgrade to the $15 plan...I did have to activate it with iTunes when it arrived...there was no picking plans at that point since it was done when I bought the phone...

Hope this helps.

3. Bijiont thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 16, 2010
    Thanks for the information however it doesn't hit on exactly what I was looking for.

After reading my post I left out some information (my fault ).

I am going to purchase an unsubstatized version of the iPhone4 as the last 10 calls to AT&T they refused to carry over my unlimited data plan.

By purchasing a unsubstatized version will the activation process be simply placing my ATT information in or will this "flag" my account in any way?

Normally with any GSM unlocked phone I simply pop the SIM and I can use the phone no worries. iPhone I know is different and requires extra hoops to jump through in order to activate and such.

I hope this explains the situation better.
  4. Bijiont thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 16, 2010
    Read another post and my question was anwsered,

Thank again for anyone whom took the time to read this post.