Activation Problem: iPhone 5 owner, upgrading to iPhone X and Apple Watch 3

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by RuffDraft, Sep 19, 2017.

1. RuffDraft macrumors regular

RuffDraft

Hello everyone,

I would like to go into the Apple Store on Friday and pick up an Apple Watch Series 3. I'm happy to queue in the early hours, as I love doing stuff like that. My problem is that I'll still have my iPhone 5, which is incompatible with iOS 11 and Watch OS4. Therefore, if I buy the Apple Watch Series 3 on Friday, which has Watch OS4 installed, will I still be able to use the Apple Watch Series 3? As I'll be picking up an iPhone X in November (hopefully), I know that I'll be able to use the Watch with the iPhone X then. I just don't want to buy the Watch on Friday if I can't even activate it until November?

Thanks everyone! I've never owned an Apple Watch, and I'm currently out of shape having worked two jobs for two years, but I've finally turned a corner and have the time to exercise now... I would really like to start exercising and closing rings from Friday! I am really interested in the journey.

2. RuffDraft thread starter macrumors regular

RuffDraft

3. profets macrumors 601

Looks like for the Series 3 with Cellular an iPhone 6 is required, and for a Series 3 (non-cellular) an iPhone 5s is minimum requirement.

From Apple on the cellular model:
    1. Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) requires an iPhone 6 or later with iOS 11 or later.

From Apple on the regular Series 3 (went to a different country's site to see):
    1. Apple Watch Series 3 richiede iPhone 5s o successivo con iOS 11 o successivo.

4. RuffDraft thread starter macrumors regular

RuffDraft

Thanks Profets.

If I were to get one on Friday, could I pair it with my girlfriend's iPhone 6, and then use the fitness features until I get the iPhone X? If so, would I then be able to transfer the fitness stats from my Apple Watch, synced to her Apple ID, and move the data to my Apple ID via iPhone X?

Something tells me that this isn't going to be possible. :(

5. profets macrumors 601

No problem. That's going to be tricky.

Say you pair it with her iPhone 6. All the activity data will be getting saved on her iPhone and potentially into her iCloud (with Health in iCloud enabled on iOS 11). When it comes time to pair the Watch to your iPhone X, you'll have to unpair it from her iPhone, at which point all the activity data will be on her iPhone and the watch will be erased and ready to set up as new.

From that point, I guess you could always do an iTunes backup of her iPhone 6, and then use one of the tools available to strip everything but Health data out of the backup. Then restore that "Health only" backup to your iPhone X. Only problem here is that if you restore your new iPhone X from that backup, you won't be able to restore it from a different back (say from your iPhone 5 if that was your plan).

Easiest option if you really want to start using the Series 3 this week, maybe look for a very inexpensive & used iPhone 5s?

6. Mabus51 macrumors 65816

Sounds like you should just wait it out until you get your new phone. If rumors are true the iPhone X is going to be extremely hard to come by. I wouldn't count on getting the iPhone X at launch anyway.

7. RuffDraft thread starter macrumors regular

RuffDraft

Thanks Profets! I won't be updating before I get the X, though I love your strategy explained here - thank you! That's a great solution, but I guess I'll just order one online and get it in the 3-4 weeks that it says it will take to arrive. By then, I'll only be two weeks away from an iPhone X. I know supplies are said to be low for the X, but if I can't get a pre-order to deliver on the actual day, then I may just camp out at an Apple Store to get the X on launch. I am fed up of my iPhone 5: it won't last a day's charge; has a broken connector, so it sometimes refuses to charge, and I hate being late to the party with any new Apple release - particularly with the iPhone X - if it's going to be 'old' in ten months time - the shortest length of a flagship phone in history - not that I'm bothered about owning old tech - just like to get my monies worth.

Really appreciate your time to explain this to me - I haven't really played with an Apple Watch - I just want to get fit using one now. Thanks for your time!
    --- Post Merged, Sep 19, 2017 ---
    I agree - thanks for your input Mabus51!

True... I hope to get it at launch. I'm going to be sitting there on the app like everyone else, and will just have to hope I can get the whole thing processed in minutes. If not, I may queue from the early hours.

8. profets macrumors 601

^Not a problem. Best of luck to you come iPhone X pre-order. I’m hoping to get one as soon as possible as well.

9. RuffDraft thread starter macrumors regular

RuffDraft

Thanks profets! Best of luck to you as well! It'll be interesting to see how many minutes we'll have to get first delivery on the iPhone X. I was fortunate enough with the original iPad - arrived a day early even, but I think the popularity now and limited yield rate is going to make it even harder... fingers crossed we can both get it on day one.

I've decided to get the Stainless Steel Apple Watch Series 3 with Black Sport Band for swimming and general use. I might get a new strap for Christmas. I wasn't sure whether to go with the aluminium due to its lighter weight, but the fact that a real scratch will pretty much rule the watch out means that I'd rather go with the stainless steel version... will see though, as I'm not going to buy the Watch until nearer November time.

Thanks again for your help too!