Activation server can't be reached for new mini iPad 4

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bigchief, Dec 25, 2016.

1. bigchief macrumors 6502a

I'm trying to activate a new iPad mini 4 and the activation server can't be released. Is apple having trouble today?

2. bigchief thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

A lot of people are probably trying to activate new iDevices today. Severs might be a little overwhelmed. Be patient, and keep trying for now.

4. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

Yep, Christmas Day is the one day of the year that I wouldn't even bother trying to activate a new iDevice.

5. bigchief thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lesson learned. Never buy an Apple device to be opened and use on Christmas Day. This new iPad Mini 4 128gb will not open over wifi or through iTunes after trying for 8 hours. Merry Christmas Apple.

6. ericwn macrumors 65816

Did you make sure it's not network related by trying to activate via another means of internet connectivity?

7. bigchief thread starter macrumors 6502a

ericwn YOU DA MAN! Just tried using hotspot with my iPhone 6 (AT&T) and it worked!

8. ericwn macrumors 65816

Thanks much Sir, happy to hear it worked. It's unlikely that the world's biggest and very customer experience focussed company has their server farm down over the holidays, so I took a wild guess and thought the issue is somewhere in the current network config. Enjoy the device - and hope your frustration turns into a good time!

Cheers,
    E.

9. DynaFXD macrumors 6502a

DynaFXD

Well, obviously that was not the issue -thumbs up-, but considering Apple rolls out huge releases, the whole premise was kinda silly, IMHO. Now myself, OTOH, went on the cheap and got an Apple Certified Refurb iPad Pro 12.9. 5 minutes into the activation the system shut down, came back up with a screen looking like it was sand blasted with fushia sand, shut down and never came back (despite reasonably heroic efforts). So MY lesson is that certified refurbished are crap that should be avoided year round. Sorry for the thread hijack, but even at the end of the day, still kinda stings.

10. ericwn macrumors 65816

Ouch, that sucks, but thanks for sharing your experience! Seems that the issue didn't really surface before or was so intermittent that the technician didn't see it.
    If it's any comfort to you, many people in Mac forums love their refurbished stuff and made good experiences with it (while enjoying the savings + full warranty).
    Maybe give it another try with another device?

11. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

Just keep trying. The internet is generally being hammered this time of year, especially Christmas Day. Just think of all those devices people have got that connect to the internet, and all the media being streamed.

EDIT: ah I see you got it working :)

12. DynaFXD macrumors 6502a

DynaFXD

Oh, I did :) I missed most of the new unit sales. Target's sale was still going on, but not the greatest deal and selection is crap. I hit up eBay and found a used 128 GB Cellular 12.9 iPPro for about the same as I was going to pay for a 32GB Wifi only refurb. Sure, you take your chances. But, at this point I'll go with a used unit that is operating properly -cross fingers- than something a technician passed through QA to get a "certified" badge. This will be #6. The amount of use that the others get justified a 12.9-inch model in the stable, IMHO. Good to hear your issues were sorted as well :)

13. vince_ross macrumors newbie

I seem to remember a few years back that so many people were trying to activate Apple products that the servers actually crashed for a bit.

Glad to see you finally got it up and running. That mini 4 is a fun device.

14. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I had the same issue activating my iPad Mini 4 last night as well. Although on the third or fourth try I got it to work.