Activation Server Status?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by slipsick, Jul 12, 2008.

1. slipsick macrumors newbie

What is the current status of activation servers? Are they finally up and running smoothly, or are people still having problems activating?

After reading about people bricking their 2G phones by not being able to complete re-activation after upgrading, I've been waiting until activation server issues are completely sorted out to upgrade/ Is it 100% "safe" to upgrade now, or is there still a risk of bricking my phone?

Thanks.

2. Kwill macrumors 68000

Kwill

Good questions. My 1st gen iPhone was bricked for a while on Friday. Eventually it did a partial activation with 2.0 firmware. Data was backed up and partially restored. The part that is missing is that which requires iTunes authentication. None of the new apps work (they crash upon launch) and no music, podcasts, or movies show up. I am able to send/receive calls.

After each app is downloaded to the iPhone, an alert appears that says:
    "The iPhone "iPhone" cannot be synced. The required file cannot be found."

I am considering a hard reset (estimated time is 2 hours) to reset all content and settings. In the morning I could then use iTunes to sync desired files again. Before doing so however, I, like you, want to know if servers are properly working or if I will just find myself in the same situation again.

Perhaps relevant: My iPhone used a custom name other than the generic "iPhone." The new phone is using the generic name. Has this been the case with others unable to activate?

Attached Files: