Activation with no SIM Card

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by XTheLancerX, Nov 6, 2015.

1. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

Well, I have the SIM card, but I have a few questions. Here's what's going on:

I have a spare iPhone 5 in the house that I use as a spare device, it used to be a family member's. The SIM card was taken out when the family member upgraded, but it is still deactivated, stored away. Anyway out of curiosity I wanted to upgrade it to iOS 9.2 beta. It wouldn't work, it got stuck on "Update Requested". I reset the phone, reset network settings, nothing. I reset all content and settings, and now it wants to be activated, but I didn't know it needs a SIM card just to get past setup.

So, I have the old deactivated SIM card around. Will that work to get past setup? Will this activate the SIM card again, going past this activation screen with it in there? I don't want that, this was a family member's old phone, I don't want to mess up their signal and such with their new 6S that they use now.

2. bkends35 macrumors 6502a

bkends35

IIRC, I used an old deactivated sim from my old carrier to get past the screen on my old phone.

3. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

As long as your phone works on the carrier of the sim, any sim (even deactivated) will allow the phone to get past setup.