Active 3D lighting for photorealistic dials.

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by mcdj, Apr 13, 2015.

1. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Maybe someone is already doing this, but it seems like it shouldn't be a big deal to create photorealistic watch dials that use data from either the ambient light/motion sensors, or maybe even just GPS, to emulate directional lighting effects that move with the watch in real time.

Here's a crappy mockup that shows how a simple bevel/emboss and drop shadows can be used to create a 3D dial that reacts to a light source.

[​IMG]

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

You'd have to have multiple light sensors to be able to tell what direction light is coming from.

3. mcdj thread starter macrumors 604

mcdj

Then it could just as easily be done with the orientation sensor. As you move your arm, the lighting moves, not necessarily in relation to an external light source, but in an illusion of parallax vein.

All I'm saying is there's a way to make (the hopefully forthcoming) photorealistic dials seem more dimensional thru some simple effects. Currently, smart watches with analog style mechanical watch dials look terrible because they're so flat and lifeless.

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

My apologies, I thought you were looking for the effect that actually tracked an external source, not a faux-lighting effect.

5. Technodynamic macrumors 6502

Technodynamic

I like the concept. pretty sure that can't be done on this gen watch, but its a good idea.

6. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Didn't iOS 6 have something like this on the little chrome circles on the sliders for the volume and brightness in the app switcher. Seem to remember someone saying the shine moved when you moved the phone.

7. producerlawson macrumors regular

Seems pretty cool.. if they can get it working as well as parallax does then it could be a neat feature.

----------

yeah - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9X7D87uJ7Q