Active Corners - want my "Screen Off (and only screen off)" back (2013 Macbook Air)

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by orschinger, Jul 21, 2013.

1. orschinger macrumors member

Hey there,

on all my previous Macs I've been using the upper right corner for a quick "screen off".

Whenever the computer was on to some task, that took a while longer to accomplish - top right corner, screen off (which is different from brightness all the way down) to save battery.

Now with the 2013 MBA it seems like for some reason (and seemingly not always) the computer itself goes into some sort of sleep mode - it stops uploads and downloads for no apparent reason (and as I said not always).

I want my plain and simple "Screen off" back - if I wanted the computer to sleep, i'd shut the lid.

Can anybody help? PLease? :)

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Did you click on "Prevent computer from sleeping when display is off" in Energy Saver preferences?

3. flynz4 macrumors 68040

That option seems to have been removed from the 2013 MBAs when on battery power. On my machine, it is only there for use with the power adapter.

/Jim

4. orschinger thread starter macrumors member

Exactly :-/

5. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

i keep reading about this but don't understand why this behaves as expected on my new 11" Air.

I have the bottom left corner set to "Put display to sleep" and when i put my cursor there it does just that. i have been using it all day that way to turn off the screen with itunes left playing. I also just tried it with a safari download going and it was not interrupted. :confused:

6. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Probably because you were plugged in.

7. orschinger thread starter macrumors member

Installed Caffeine - it's got really good reviews, though I'm not sure, if it does what I'm looking for (since I don't want the computer to stay awake when I close the lid).

Update: Okay, it didn't take long - the computer crashed :-/ hello caffeine, bye caffeine.

8. iPhysicist macrumors 6502a

iPhysicist

I dont't have a '13 MBA but have you ever looked into "Better Touch Tool"? Its the best tool for Touchpad bases gesture control of your mac and you can also use a gesture to put (only) the display to sleep.
    I dont use active corners anymore since i discovered this tool 3 years ago. I say give it a try and even if it can't solve you particular problem it may help you anyway.

9. Jefe's MacAir macrumors 6502

I've run Caffeine on my 11' Air w/o any issues at all. Haven't run it on the new 13' yet.

10. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

no, I was doing it on battery to conserve battery. why would I want to turn the screen off if I were plugged in?

11. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Zero problems with Caffeine on my 2013 13" MBA... or any other Mac that I've ever used.

/Jim

12. orschinger thread starter macrumors member

So okay, I tried Caffeine again, no crashes so far - BUT: After I've turned the screen off for a couple of minutes (via active corner) and I wiggle the mouse, the computer has lost it's wifi connection, looks for the network.

...problem persists. :(

13. teffers macrumors regular

Have a read of this thread :)

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1595455

It does come up with a solution to have the screen off without it dropping network connections etc.