Active Directory Account = Completely Missing After Upgrade

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by gopherhockey, Jul 20, 2011.

1. gopherhockey macrumors regular

gopherhockey

My Mac has a local userid, and my Active Directory bound userid (which I log into every day). The local userid was basically the default administrator account.

When I installed the Lion upgrade, I'm no longer prompted to be able to log into my AD bound account. I can see the files there under the users directory, but the user is even missing out of the Users & Groups area of the System Preferences.

I can see the machine is still bound just fine to my AD. I used to wait just a few moments when the computer booted up and it would prompt me to log into a network account.

How do I get this account back into Lion? It has ALL my settings, files, everything.. my life is in there. Now its just a directory on my Mac.

First impression = WTF?! Seriously?

2. gopherhockey thread starter macrumors regular

gopherhockey

In an attempt to troubleshoot I unbound and re-bound my Mac to my AD. Now I can't bind - it says that a computer of that name already exists and do I want to merge the account and I click "ok" then it says "unable to store password" and it fails.

I tried deleting and re-adding the computer account in AD and nothing works.

It seems AD binding is no longer functioning in Lion... at least for me.

Now I'm left with an orphaned userid with all my stuff in it.

3. gopherhockey thread starter macrumors regular

gopherhockey

For anyone interested, here is what I had to do to get things back:

Run the disk utility and run "repair disk permissions" again.
    Completely restart the computer
    log back into local user
    re-bind (this time it works)
    For Display login window as: I selected Name and password. (without this it never prompted me to log in as a network user)
    Once I was able to log into my network user again (things matched right up) I switched the DIsplay login window as back to "list of users" and next time I rebooted I was able to click the little arrow that allowed a network user to log in.

Odd.

It seems the disk permissions repair needed to be run before the Lion upgrade and then again after.

I'm curious if I had just changed it to "name and password" in the first place if I'd have been able to log in without having to unbind and rebind.

4. vikast macrumors newbie

@gopherhockey: Thanks very much this helped. I was having the same problem.