Active MDP adapters (Recommendations)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rezwits, Jan 21, 2014.

1. rezwits macrumors 6502a

rezwits

I am looking for recommendations for my two video cards.

I want to connect 3 monitors to an ATI Radeon 5770 and 3 monitors to an ATI Radeon 7970.

I am going to purchase 4 Active MDP adapters, and I am googling.

But I just wanted some ideas from some people out there with experience or usage of Active MDP maybe even with these cards, some recommendations, or just suggestions before I get all 4 or these.

I want them all to be the same :p pretty things...

Thanks for thoughts!

2. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Not sure how $ it will cost to get those adapters, but I have a 7870 eyefinity 6 that has 6 mDP ports on it and only requires 2x6 pin power if you really need to drive 6 displays.

3. rezwits thread starter macrumors 6502a

rezwits

Thanks for the tip

I'll look into the speed difference in the 7970 and 7870. I haven't gotten the 7970 yet. I am going to use my hdmi matrix (which is slow) but works reliably on just 3 monitors switching between whichever 3, I want, then I am going to buy 3 more monitors and a hex mounting system, so this may be the way I want to go, cause I like mavericks with all the 6 monitor layout options.

I am going to stay away from 4K for a little while for about 2-3-4 years till they get all of the 3D, MHz, Cards, and Adapters/Cables standards all figured out and locked in. I would probably just go 4K x 3 with that.

The 7970 can sustain the 4K from what I hear (for the future) and then the 5770 (might be able to support it with the right adapter;) more research and we'll see I suppose.

Thanks

4. rezwits thread starter macrumors 6502a

rezwits

Best I think

Well these are the best I could really find:

http://www.accellcables.com/product189.html

I figure they will work and give me some hope for the future...

The site says in stock, amazon say 2 months so... we'll see

Now I have to debate 7870 vs 7970 for the next few days :(

5. rezwits thread starter macrumors 6502a

rezwits

7870 @ 6 x 4K

Can I run 6 4K monitors with that 7870?

I am thinking VisionTek Radeon 7870 with 6 x 4K in this year, if I do things right. Or would I have to run 2 cards? to get 6 x 4K?

6. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Uneducated guess = no since even the nMP can only handle 3 4k monitors. I do not know how many 4k one card could drive.

7. rezwits thread starter macrumors 6502a

rezwits

These adapters would be cool (if ship)

http://www.club-3d.com/index.php/pr...playport-to-hdmi-active-3d-adapter-cable.html

These are the highest spec active adapters I can find, but they aren't shipping yet, maybe in the future, which ok.

But of course these are just simple adapters, so if these specs are there then there will be other ones similar with the Club Specs...

The accell was only compatible with 1.2 etc blah blah

Thanks again, and yeah I figured at most 3 x 4K, just didn't know

Which after going over my setup and desires, this should be fine for me, even if I decide to get 4K early like in Jan '14.

Thing is I think this whole 4K @ 30 MHz is where most older machines that at least make the "Capable of 4K" cut (i.e. 5770) will be stuck at forever... especially a Mac Pro 1,1 for just monitoring apps, purposes...

I just hope this 28" Hex Mount kit would maybe support those new CES Asus 4K displays for $799 those are nice, and I only want mine so I can dig into full iOS retina development (namely iPad), it's such a kluge on 1080? is that the best word?

:D

So that's where I am heading...

----------

And I will always be running in HiDPI (retina) all the time...

that's the way it should be anyway... i think...

8. rezwits thread starter macrumors 6502a

rezwits

60Hz

Well I found somethings out that look promising.

Looks like the 7970, can support 60Hz over Mini Display Port of which it has 2 of.

Then the 7970, can support a 3rd at 30Hz over the HDMI.

In addition, it looks like Lenova has the first wave of cheaper 60Hz 4K Displays over Mini Display Port coming in April around $700-800. 28 inch!

What that means is I should be able to get that one or ones like it, around that price around that time.

I can live with one monitor on the left or right being 30Hz and the other 2 being 60Hz.

4K is pretty much here for me. I am glad!

Laters...