Active minutes measured wrong since new iPhone

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Cremerhm, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Cremerhm macrumors 6502

Hi all,

Using the Apple Watch about 12 months now and the measurements alway seemed spot on.
    Since I've connected my watch with my new iPhone 7+, the active minutes registration is way off.....
    A lot of time when i'm walking around it is registered ad active minutes, so at the end of the day I've got about 70 active minutes ... normally this would be max 30 minutes on a day without a work-out.

Heart Rate seems normal (57 while seated, 65 when walking), so this should not be the reason walking is registered as active minutes.

I did a calibration during 2 walks 20+ minutes.
    Does anyone know what could be the reason for this behaviour?

2. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

What is Active? Are you talking about Exercise minutes or Move (calories). If talking about Exercise then it sounds like it was wrong before. For Exercise you need to meet a minimum effort. Here is what Apple says:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204517

For you to met the minimum you should have your HR above 70% of MHR. A simple formula is: Age-220, then multiply by 0.7.

3. Cremerhm thread starter macrumors 6502

--- Post Merged, Sep 27, 2016 ---
    Thanx a lot for you're reply!

Exercise minutes is what I ment, sorry.
    Okay, but the way it works now makes it (way too) easy to get my daily goals ;-)

70% for me would be 220-37x0.7=128
    I've checked my hearthreate data from today: it was 90 at his highest point.
    Most of the time between 49 and 69.

So this should not be the real reason?

4. ttforever macrumors member

Mines been wrong since I installed watch os3 rather than ios10 - try resetting the calibration on the exercise setting on the apple watch - seems to have fixed mine!

5. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

90 BPM is not even close to cardio exercise for your age, it is leisurely walking. You must elevate and keep your HR above 128 BPM to be doing a cardio workout. Ideally you should shoot for 80% (150 BPM) or more at times.

Also it is highly unlikely you have RHR of 49 BPM unless you are an athlete or have a medical condition. If you only see it a couple of times it is probably just an anomaly. If seeing it often then there is some type of problem.

6. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

The watch will not store a HR reading if your arm is moving and you do not have a Workout selected. So, the max of 90 is likely when you are still, not when you are walking.

The watch may not even be using HR to determine Exercise ring minutes at all. It may just be using your arm movement to count minutes. Some folks speculate that the watch might make take a background HR reading anyway and not store it. However, that requires a loose reading between the lines of the Apple web site. Apple explicitly states that the AW "only takes [a] background reading when you're still."

Try calibrating the watch on an outdoor walk with the phone nearby. My guess is that the AW uses your HR and movement to associate a HR level and activity for future counting when HR is not available. This is a guess, but give it a calibration and see what happens.

7. Cremerhm, Sep 27, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2016

Cremerhm thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay, tx will try to find this setting!
    Been running watch os3 for about 1,5 month now (developer beta) and did not have the issues before...

Update: where can I find this setting?

Clear message! Answer to the low rest heartrate rate part ... I work-out 5 times a week.The past 5 months this was only strength ... so my heart rate is a little high when i'm resting. When i'm training cardio for a longer period my hearth rate is somewhere in the lower 40/high 30 while resting...
    Tx for you're reply. Like mentioned in my OP I already did this calibration twice....so I don't think this will do the trick.
    But will give it a shot anyway ;-)