Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

austinfd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2007
I live in South Korea, where our favorite computers are second class citizens. Many Korean websites use Active X controls, and thanks to Apple, I am protected form all the nasty things that could happen to my computer through active x.

However, there are some important sites I would like to be able read from home on my MacBook.... like the Seoul Bus route planner.... that I assume don't display in any of my browsers due to lack of active x support....

So what's a guy to do?! Am I limited to using my computer at work, or is there a workaround?

HELP!

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I'd suggest crossover as the first solution also. I've heard about this before. I'm really surprised that developers are still using ActiveX. But then Korea is very different from the US or Europe in that broadband internet and web-capable computers exploded very, very quickly, in the days when IE was the dominant browser, much more quickly than they ever did here.

Here's the website:

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/

MSIE 6 is known to work well on Crossover; 7 may also work. You must purchase Crossover, but you do not need to purchase Windows.

Alternatively, if you can inexpensively get Windows XP, you can just purchase VMWare or Parallels and run Windows in its entirety, as stated. I'd say that if you have low cost access to Windows, that's a better option, since it offers compatibility with more things. :)

austinfd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2007
I'd suggest crossover as the first solution also. I've heard about this before. I'm really surprised that developers are still using ActiveX. But then Korea is very different from the US or Europe in that broadband internet and web-capable computers exploded very, very quickly, in the days when IE was the dominant browser, much more quickly than they ever did here.

Here's the website:

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/

MSIE 6 is known to work well on Crossover; 7 may also work. You must purchase Crossover, but you do not need to purchase Windows.

Alternatively, if you can inexpensively get Windows XP, you can just purchase VMWare or Parallels and run Windows in its entirety, as stated. I'd say that if you have low cost access to Windows, that's a better option, since it offers compatibility with more things. :)

ALRIGHT!

That works beautifully....slow...but still working!

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
The good thing is that CrossOver Mac has a demo so it gives you a lot of time to try it out. I've found the only issue I had with CrossOver and IE6 was plug-ins. (Flash, Java, etc...) How much RAM do you have in your MacBook? You might want to max it out if your already haven't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.