ActiveState Python install

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by markjewiss, Sep 12, 2007.

1. markjewiss macrumors member

Hi there,

Has anyone got experience of sing ActiveState Python on OS X? I've downloaded the pre-built binaries from their web site, and have installed Python without problems, and it works fine. *But* I want to be able to install it into it's own unique location, not in the default. I saw an instruction about manually installing from the command line and specifying a target parameter, but that didn't seem to work...

Thanks,

Mark.

2. trentm macrumors newbie

cannot change install dir on Mac OS X

Hi Mark,

The ActivePython build for Mac OS X (just like the Python build for Mac OS X from python.org) is a framework install -- i.e. it is built to fit in with the Mac OS X system for frameworks. This puts a restriction on where it can be installed.

It may be possible to install Frameworks to a user-specific location like "~/Library/Frameworks", but I haven't seen this before and ActivePython doesn't currently support that.

Cheers,
    Trent
    (I am the ActivePython lead at ActiveState.)

3. markjewiss thread starter macrumors member

Trent,

Thanks for the info - the above is exactly what I was looking to do. I work for a software development organisation and we ship a bunch of third party products to help ours run - the main one is ActivePython (oh, we've got an active distribution deal, PM me for further details). All the 3rd party stuff goes into a directory within our installation to keep things nice and tidy.

We don't support OS X yet with the product, and honestly doubt that we will do for some time - our customer base is using either Solaris or RHEL, with a little bit of Windows thrown in for fun. But I've been getting the product to work on my MBP just for fun - as it's Python it was pretty easy to make it happen, I just wanted a 'tidy' set of 3rd part software as per our other supported platforms.

Thanks for the help.

Mark.