ActiveSync Confusion

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KDuniverse, Aug 9, 2008.

1. KDuniverse macrumors member

Ok, am I supposed to be able to conect to my pc through activesync and sync using Bluetooth? Or am I only able to connect through itunes, plugged in? I don't have mobileme.

2. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

To utilize ActiveSync, you need to have a Microsoft Exchange server set up. If you're a typical home user, this most likely isn't the case. ActiveSync is synced over the iPhones data connection, the bluetooth connection on the iPhone can only be used for bluetooth headsets.

3. KDuniverse thread starter macrumors member

4. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I think the confusion is caused by Microsoft using ActiveSync across two different types of product.
    I'm guessing you were thinking about desktop ActiveSync which you install on your PC and which communicates with the phone via Bluetooth or USB (it used to work with WiFi too, but not any more). This lets you sync contacts, mail, calendars, etc to your Outlook client but also lets you explore the device's file system, install apps, etc, etc.

What the iPhone supports is officially known as "Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync Direct Push" which syncs Calendars, Mail and Contacts directly with the exchange server and doesn't require any software on the desktop.

5. KDuniverse thread starter macrumors member

exactly. good to know bluetooth is just about useless:)