ActiveSync Corporate Data + Personal Data on iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brgnewman, Jun 20, 2011.

1. brgnewman macrumors member

We have a few select users in our office who we have configured access to our corporate email system through ActiveSync on their personal iPhones. It wasn't until today when I started to wonder "What happens when a user plugs their iPhone into their Home PC - does it refuse to sync, sync only personal data, or sync personal + corporate data?"

Now, I know that with BlackBerry devices on our corporate BES/BESX, if a user tries to sync their handheld with BlackBerry Desktop Manager on their Home PC, it restricts all access to the device (Corporate and Personal data) and refuses to sync.

But with a personal iPhone device accessing our corporate email via ActiveSync, how does their Home PC/Mac act when syncing the device through iTunes?

2. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

I do this - while I haven't looked very hard, I haven't noticed any corporate data left on my Mac after a sync.

3. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Data that's synced through ActiveSync won't be synced back to the desktop through iTunes: iTunes will only sync data that is "local" on the phone (i.e. didn't originate from a wireless sync) back to the computer

4. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Yep. The account information is synced, however, to enable a seamless restore if necessary. The actual content will be redownloaded using the backed up information.