ActiveSync vs. iCloud: actual battery life difference?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by exi, Mar 25, 2013.

1. exi macrumors 6502

Intuitively, I would expect that an in-house Apple technology like iCloud would lead to a better battery life when syncing mail/contacts/calendars/etc as compared to syncing the same material via ActiveSync to an Exchange (or Google, or Outlook.com) account.

I'm curious as to whether anyone has definitively seen this in their own experimentation. In searches, I've seen opinions that run the gamut -- some saying iCloud was better anecdotally, others saying no difference, others still attributing Safari tabs sync to worse battery life with iCloud.

2. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

funny you mentioned this. i just migrated to icloud email last week and have push turned on. it seems to be more of a drainer than gmail did when pushing, however, i did this around the same time i updated OTA to 6.1.3. so i honestly dont know if the icloud push is making the difference or the OS update.

3. SanjeevRana macrumors 6502a

SanjeevRana

iCloud Email push is just another IMAP based solution which has overhead when compared to Activesync ... however, it all depends on the amount of emails that you receive in a day to judge the battery life :)

4. exi thread starter macrumors 6502

Sure -- I mean all things being equal.

5. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Anecdotal evidence is really all you're going to get.

6. exi thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, for anyone reading this who has gone between the two (as in migrating from Google or hosted Exchange to iCloud), I'd happily take more anecdotes.