ActiveX issue when attempting to use Windows Remote Web Workplace

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SCOMM, May 9, 2008.

1. SCOMM macrumors newbie

Has anybody ever had success in trying to access a Windows Server or Client computer using Remote Web Workplace on a Windows 2003 server? I know that Microsoft has an RDP client now but we're trying to access either a server or workstation in our work network using Remote Web Workplace via Safari or Firefox and the error keeps stating that the browser must support Terminal Services ActiveX. If anyone has a solution that works, they are BRILLIANT!!!

2. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

ActiveX = IE

From a web programmer we steer clear of ActiveX whenever possible since it limits our user base. The only suggestion I can offer is try to google an ActiveX plugin for firefox, but I haven't heard much on the development on this for a while now.

Basic rule of thumb though is ActiveX = IE only (since it's a MS/Windows/IE technology). I could be wrong but on this I'm 99.9% sure.

If your willing to spend the money, either use a virtual machine OR (the cheaper way) would be to use CrossOver (no windows license required) then you can install IE. But don't take my word for that, it might work. You can always download the demo of CrossOver, install IE7 or whichever version, then try to access the site.

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I believe a third party Active X plugin exists for Firefox, but only for Windows.

Sorry, basically Active X == IE.

4. Macstone2 macrumors newbie

I recently had a bit of experience with CrossOver and can tell you that a) It's not possible to install IE7 and b) It's functionality with IE6 is very buggy; it froze on me twice and closed althogether on one occasion. We recently gave it a shot as a solution for our Mac users who need to be able to access our Sharepoint inranet. I'm hopeing that future updates might bring more stability, but unfortunately it's just not a realistic solution at this time.