Activities counted as exercise

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by aldrinjtauro, Oct 21, 2015.

1. aldrinjtauro macrumors regular

I've only had my Apple Watch for a week now, and today was the first time i played drums while wearing it. I was in rehearsal for about 45 minutes, played for about 30 min of that. My watch counted that as exercise, but only as 13 minutes of exercise. Anybody notice other any other activities that get counted as exercise by your watch?

2. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

Yea, the watch does not really know what exercise means. It's been programmed to detect movement, adds in elevated heart rate and calculates a number for exercise which in the end is just movement; but this does not have to be running/walking/cycling. Movement calories are similar. If you like, you can shake your arm around while sitting in a chair for an hour or so and it will give you credit for getting up and moving around. Same for stand, you can fool the watch.

At the end of the day, you have to know if you have really done exercise, understand the watch will credit you for movement and make a judgement call on what you do physically. Ignore it and take the credit or get out and do something that really is exercise and add on to the number the watch has recorded already. Driving a car with a shaky wheel will give you a ton of credit but in reality you have sat the whole time.

Lastly, drumming can be exercise. Depending on your style it can be a cardio workout to play for an extended period of time. The watch is noticing your arm movement but you're also elevating your heart rate while playing so the credit you're getting is not completely unjustified.

3. Planky macrumors regular

I drove my Series One Land Rover the other evening and I was credited some exercise. Mind you it is a 1957 vehicle with no power steering or servo on the brakes!