Activity Monitor - Should I increase RAM?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MacBook08, Jan 10, 2011.

  1. MacBook08 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2008
    Location:
    San Jose, California
    #1
    I'm not sure if this is cause for concern but it seems like my "free" memory has been really low as of late. I use Safari and Mail 90% of the time. The other 10% is occasional iTunes use, MPlayer use, and Preview use. Is it time for me to upgrade to 4 GB of RAM?

    Note - I do use the following extensions in Safari: AdBlock and YouTube5.

    [​IMG]
     
  2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

    GGJstudios

    Joined:
    May 16, 2008
    #2
  3. simsaladimbamba

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2010
    Location:
    located
    #3
  4. mulo macrumors 68020

    mulo

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2010
    Location:
    Behind you
    #4
    with you usage no, but should your usage needs expands i would suggest so as you would soon run out of memory.
     
  5. gustavopi macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2008
    Location:
    Brazil
    #5
    For Safari and Mail, 2GB should be enough. Your Safari is a little fat in real memory. You should take a look at virtual memory usage, because is in the HD and can slow down your system. I got a MacMini with 2,5GB running Adobe stuffs, Apache, etc. and it is working.

    There is some softs that free up memory by clearing caches, but it is also effective the control over small and numerous little software like iTunesHelper that "eat" a lot of resources - do you really need it?
     

Share This Page