Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CavemanUK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2006
Rhyl, North Wales
This guy is paid to be a super villain in this weeks episode of bionic woman but he cant even hold hi s iPhone the right way up!

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    149.5 KB · Views: 163

Mac OS X Ocelot

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
I haven't seen an iPhone in person but I don't see what the big deal is. It's a show and in it you probably see the phone for half a second. Anyway, I think it's sad that you guys spotted that (this was mentioned before).

Mac OS X Ocelot

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
If the iPhone was so awesome and motionsensory it would switch the mic and speaker when it's held upside down. So there.

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
From the standpoint of someone who has never powered one up - look at the overall picture.

MANY phones over the years always had the antenna on top. The black plastic covering the back is the antennas - that could have been an assumption.

The microphone on your average cell is almost always smaller than the speaker hole - at a quick glance, the ear-slit looks more like a mic, and the "home" button looks more like a speaker cutout.

The phone is very symmetrical, so much so, that I've picked mine up upside-down in the dark a couple of times. And I've own one since its launch.

I see far dumber things every day than this. No offense.

Noeld

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2006
as an actor, let me defend the accused a bit. Chances are that either he was ordered to hold it that way because the stripe makes a more interesting visual or he was made to take the phone out of his pocket and immediately place it to his face because taking the time to make sure it was the right way would be too much dead air.

Actors are small cogs in a massive machine

Play4keeps

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2006
I use mine like that when talking on speaker phone only because the speaker IS at the bottom:eek:

decadentdave

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
He might have been holding it the wrong way for a reason. They might not have wanted to endorse the Apple logo on air since they didn't pay for the publicity and also because of NBC's pullout from iTunes I'm sure they didn't want to give Apple free publicity. It might also be NBC's way of saying to Apple how upside-down they think they are with their business model. Of course, we all know it's really the other way around. ;):apple:

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
Meh.

I'm just surprised someone actually watched that show past episode one to see this guy holding it upside down.

Horrible horrible, show...that actress and the writing... gak.....

boss1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Actually, I've seen this type of thing happen with Apple laptops and desktops also in film and on TV

The actor may not be a moron here. This may have been intentional.

I'll explain. When creating sets, scenes and telling a story line on film/tv.... There may be a need for using high tech designs such as iPhone's or futuristic looking iMacs etc as props. BUT the logos on the props, and the images on the screens of those props have to suit the scene. Sometimes video sequences are used on screens instead of the actual OS because it helps tell the story, or in this case, to logo should not be visible as it may detract from the story being told.

So the actor may have been told to hold the phone so that the Apple logo is not visible.

I'm not trying to stick up for actors at all but this is a very possible.

kwjohns

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2007
Actually, I've seen this type of thing happen with Apple laptops and desktops also in film and on TV

I'll explain. When creating sets, scenes and telling a story line on film/tv.... There may be a need for using high tech designs such as iPhone's or futuristic looking iMacs etc as props. BUT the logos on the props, and the images on the screens of those props have to suit the scene. Sometimes video sequences are used on screens instead of the actual OS because it helps tell the story, or in this case, to logo should not be visible as it may detract from the story being told.

So the actor may have been told to hold the phone so that the Apple logo is not visible.

Displays on computers are always fake computer graphics. I rarely ever see actual Mac OS X or Windows running. Adn the Apple logos can be edited out. I've seen it on iBooks and Powerbooks tens of times. And if the actor pictured above were holding it right-side up, he'd be covering the logo anyways.

Mac OS X Ocelot

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005

Not only aesthetic or story reasons, but also legal. They didn't want to bother themselves with getting Apple's permission to use their logo. I don't know how many movies/tv shows I've seen with iMacs or a mac laptop with a sticker of some sort plainly over the apple logo on the back of the monitors.

decadentdave

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
I wish we could just hold the iphone like it was a communicator but they would have to improve the speaker/sound first plus mute feedback to the receiver.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.