Actress Patty Duke dead at 69

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Mr. McMac, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I was a big fan of The Patty Duke show when I was a kid. 2016 is turning out to be a sad year for us baby boomers :(

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

3. Mr. McMac thread starter Suspended

Mr. McMac

Yes, RIP Patty. I had a major crush on you way back when. Say hello to your mother Natalie for me. Martin, Ross, and Richard are still alive thankfully.

4. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

She was an excellent spokeswoman for mental illness.

5. Mr. McMac thread starter Suspended

Mr. McMac

6. BanjoBanker macrumors 6502

BanjoBanker

Huge fan of her show when I was a youngster. I had a friend whose father was transferred to New York and they bought a house in Brooklyn Heights. He quickly learned at school not to ask where Patty lived! Sort of the same reaction I had to folks new to Atlanta that would ask if I knew how to get to Tara....
    ps. The Jonesboro Road that supposedly Scarlet took home to Tara runs right past the federal pen where Al Capone spent some quality time!

7. Mr. McMac thread starter Suspended

Mr. McMac

BTW, I was born in Brooklyn NY, May 2nd, 1952. I'll be 64 this May. Patty dying only 5 years older than me makes me feel so mortal, even though I'm healthy. Getting old is a scary thing.

8. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I was thinking the same thing. I thought she was much older. Or maybe I thought I was much younger....

9. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

10. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

My first introduction to Patty Duke was during the original incarnation of Nick at Nite. When they ran their more family-oriented shows (Mr. Ed, Donna Reed, Dennis the Menace, Car 54 Where Are You, Ann Southern) before their more serious shows (Route 66), The Patty Duke Show slotted right in with that line-up. And to see her play both Patty and her cousin (The cousin's name escapes me now) was simply amazing, especially that mirror scene, as she nailed that perfectly, and was without anything like a green screen.

I know I'll get a few pillows, bean bags, and other bits thrown at me, but I was 10 when that all started on Nick at Nite. So to pick it up on its proverbial second wind makes me long for that time, and not the time it originally aired.

Either way, very lovely lady, and possibly my 2nd 1950s/1960s crush behind Connie Hines (Carol Post, Mr. Ed). And I never knew she was Sean Astin's (Lord of the Rings) mother..

BL.

11. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

2016 is turning out to be a dreadful year for the folks we have grown up with in the arts. Music, television, and the movies have all had there far share of deaths this year.

RIP........

12. Mr. McMac thread starter Suspended

Mr. McMac

I normally never think about my age because I'm in good shape. But when you hear about someone in your generation dying due to illness rather than an accident, it hits home
    --- Post Merged, Apr 1, 2016 ---
    Patty's cousin was Kathy. Brother's name was Ross, mother was Natalie, and dad was Martin. Oh yeah, Patty's boyfriend was Richard.