Actual 3GS H/W Specs?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jjprusk, Jun 9, 2009.

1. jjprusk macrumors member

Has anyone seen the actual hardware specs for the 3GS? Things like processor, amount of RAM, video chipset, 3G radio chipset, etc. I'm curious what actually got upgraded as this seems to be mainly rumors and not much real information in this area.

2. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

They haven't/probably won't release those specs. They told Gizmodo it's "Magic" that makes it 2x faster.

The real answer: we won't know until ifixit or someone tears the thing apart.

3. Versus macrumors member

Usually the main reason for not bragging about updated specs is because they aren't updated at all. Take HDTV's for instance. Manufacturers wouldn't dare forget to advertise any model with "120hz. Meanwhile most 60hz models don't even bother listing anything at all.

Of course, I have no clue how Apple roll, so I'm most likely wrong. Would they keep this under wraps for any other reason, though?

4. robothero macrumors 6502

robothero

I think the main point people are missing is that magic is no longer a myth and storybook fantasy, Apple has begun using actual sorcery in the development of their products.

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yes, you're most likely wrong.

Every leaked source claims "next-gen processor" and "twice the RAM."

Now, that's rumor, but when asked about it Apple did say something about 'twice the magic' in the iPhone, so I take that as confirmation that SOMETHING's changed. For whatever reason, they just don't want people thinking about it.

6. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Yeah, Apple used twice the Unicorn tears.

7. Craiger macrumors 6502a

Craiger

I would like to know the specs too! I'm not going to pre-order til I actually know what has changed. Does anyone know when places like gizmodo or arstech will get one to review?

8. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

Apple's marketing strategy is not to get into detailed specs. There ARE hardware upgrades, I can assure you. At http://toucharcade.com/ they are talking about processor, RAM, bus, and even the graphics processor. Not sure how confirmed all that is, but they are speaking to developers who should know. But we won't know for sure until June 20, when someone gets their new phone and tears it down.

Apple has been secretive about specs for a long time. I remember back in the days of the early iPods, when competitors would tout the audio frequency range of the mpg decoder chips in their players, and Apple would stubbornly stay mum on it. I'm sure it's because they don't want to be pinned down by consumers on individual specs of their products. Makes some sense, because they layman can't tell how fast a phone will be just based on the processor speed. There are many factors. Apple would rather we just focus on how it feels to use.

But I'm a geek, so I want to know too. It would kick ass if the 3GS included all of the upgrades talked about at Touch Arcade.

9. jasphair macrumors member

That was awesome.

10. Razeus macrumors 603

....are you serious?

I lol'd