Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wowee

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 23, 2015
Wonderful! Weirdly it seems your numbers are lower than last year's top model, but your geekbench score appears to be lower too for some reason.

Most important is that we can now confirm that taxing the processor results in just about 20% performance drop in total, which is really good!

So how does the i7 compare with throttling to the i5 and m3?

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Hello, I take time to do the test and here you have my cinebencz cpu (during 45 min test) :
256 - 248 - 252 - 246 - 238 - 243 - 223 - 216 - 209 - 207 - 207 - 207 - 206 - 206 - 206
So how does the i7 compare with throttling to the i5 and m3?
Core m3 MacBook with Cinebench R15 at Notebookcheck:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Apple-MacBook-12-2017-Laptop-Review.230656.0.html

262 - 256 - 250 - 247 - 245 - 239 - 233 - 152 - 238 - 226 - 220 - 217 - 217- 216 - 81 - 257 -238 - 225 - 218

Screen Shot 2017-07-29 at 11.12.18 AM.png

So it would seem that Notebookcheck's m3 performs very similarly to pookitoo's i7 for the first 7 runs, and actually runs a bit faster than that i7, until it freaks out on the 8th run with a 152 score. But then it jumps back up to higher than it was before and continues OK for 6 runs before it freaks out again.

I don't know if this is common behaviour though. None of the 2016's did this, so I wonder if it could be a bit of an anomaly.

Collo

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2017
I got the feeling they rushed the 2017 review a bit, so perhaps we should worry too much about the sudden massive drops.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I got the feeling they rushed the 2017 review a bit, so perhaps we should worry too much about the sudden massive drops.
Did you mean to say "shouldn't"? I'm not too worried about the sudden massive drops, but nonetheless it piqued my interest. It's a data point to file away for comparison against future extended benchmarks.

And whether or not they rushed the review, that wouldn't likely affect this particular benchmark much.

What I'm really interested in though is a repeat test that also compares the m3 against the i5 and i7. I wonder if pookitoo has a few services running that could slow things down a bit, but if not, it's curious to see if again in 2017 the i7 isn't the fastest machine. In 2016, the m5 was the fastest, followed by the m7 and the m3. This year the m3 and i5 should be closer.

BTW, here is the 2016 m3. It's way slower:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Apple-MacBook-12-Early-2016-1-1-GHz-Review.164797.0.html

csm_mb12_2016_cb15_loop_54b176faf8.png

And here are all of the 2016 models:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Face-Off-Apple-MacBook-12-Core-m3-Core-m5-and-Core-m7.172046.0.html

csm_cb15_schleife_macbooks_40e6d2367d.jpg

The green is actually the m5, with the yellow being the m7.

Last edited:

pookitoo

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2015
Paris
Maybe to have accurate results I need to clean install my MacBook, but I don't see anything in background tasks . You can take this results as a real life test with 50 app install ! With clean my mac i've shut down start process but i've 2 things that can change the results : tuxera ntfs and iCloud Drive (everything is synchronize but maybe take a little bit performances to looking for changes, I don't know )

Thanks to this test I've see cloud station (synology syncronization like Dropbox ) take 20 % of the the overall performances ! And drain the battery very fast !

Or other program like transmit, Sip , Dash, lorem ipsum in the taskbar, they can take a significant amount of performances , maybe 15% less performances with this app in the task bar, so ready to run and in background process . I can understand why people have a different feeling with this computer , it's depend a lot about the app that people use.

And it's silly to say that but it's depend a lot about the temperature where you use the MacBook ! If I put an external regular fan near the MacBook I can have no throttling at all with this test. I know we are not using our computer with an external fan lol;)

smacx

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2013
Maybe to have accurate results I need to clean install my MacBook, but I don't see anything in background tasks . You can take this results as a real life test with 50 app install ! With clean my mac i've shut down start process but i've 2 things that can change the results : tuxera ntfs and iCloud Drive (everything is synchronize but maybe take a little bit performances to looking for changes, I don't know )

Thanks to this test I've see cloud station (synology syncronization like Dropbox ) take 20 % of the the overall performances ! And drain the battery very fast !

Or other program like transmit, Sip , Dash, lorem ipsum in the taskbar, they can take a significant amount of performances , maybe 15% less performances with this app in the task bar, so ready to run and in background process . I can understand why people have a different feeling with this computer , it's depend a lot about the app that people use.

And it's silly to say that but it's depend a lot about the temperature where you use the MacBook ! If I put an external regular fan near the MacBook I can have no throttling at all with this test. I know we are not using our computer with an external fan lol;)

Thanks a lot for the test.

If you want to try a fresh install, you can also just add another partition to you drive by shrinking your main partition. Then you can install a fresh system onto this partiton without the need to erase your current setup. This would give us a better view on the speed and the throttling

madat42

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2011
Any updates on the i7 benchmarking? I'd like to get a new MacBook but am torn between an i5 and i7. Thanks!

catlv

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2016
Any updates on the i7 benchmarking? I'd like to get a new MacBook but am torn between an i5 and i7. Thanks!

Same here. Although, by the time I need to buy the MB, Coffee Lake will be around the corner, prolonging the inevitable. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.