iPad Actual capacity of 32GB iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jazzer15, Dec 4, 2013.

1. jazzer15 macrumors 6502

I own a 32GB iPad 2 and just purchased a 32GB iPad Air. When I look at the devices in iTunes the iPad 2 shows capacity of 28.34 GB while the iPad Air shows capacity of 27.38 GB. They are both running the latest updated iOS 7. Why is there a difference in overall capacity? Could it have anything to do with Siri?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Just the OS size really. Possibly siri related but I'm sure there are other things.

3. paulbennett95 macrumors 6502a

paulbennett95

Probably due to extra features and higher resolution images for the retina display on the Air.

4. jazzer15 thread starter macrumors 6502

That makes sense. It's only 1GB and I don't usually have a ton of photos or movies on the iPad, but it does make me think about whether it might make sense to exchange and upgrade to a 64GB to be safe.

5. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

Wait until you start downloading Apps onto it. Everything that is Retina enhanced is larger.

6. gantan88 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,
    I am new in this forum. I can't seem to find the 'start new thread' button. I thought i am new and not allowed to start new thread until i have made sufficient posts. So i decided to hijack this thread, albeit a very old one.

The real question i want to ask is this:
    I just bought a new ipad air 32gb. I went into setting and saw:
    Capacity: 26.2 GB
    Available: 22.5 GB

Is this normal? My device is 32GB and i only have 22 GB to use (the set is new, fresh out of the box). Fall short of almost 10 GB even before i start using?

I searched a lot online before posting here. Do the OS and built in apps really take up so much space?

Thanks for helping.

7. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

It's most likely due to the pre-installed Apple apps (iMovie, Pages, Keynote, Numbers, etc). I suggest just deleting the apps you don't need.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Welcome to MacRumors! Yes, you can start a new thread, but it's always a good idea to check to see if there's an existing thread on the topic that you can post in. That's preferable to starting another thread on the same topic.

This should help: Forums FAQ

9. gantan88 macrumors newbie

Thanks to all for those who replied. Can I still reinstall all of those inbuilt apps from the App Store if I delete them now?

10. hamiltonDSi macrumors 65832

hamiltonDSi

Yes.

11. ZipZap macrumors 601

Why would my IP6Plus 128GB
    and my iPad Air 2 128GB

have different final capacities?

12. Kobayagi macrumors 6502a

Kobayagi

Different screen size. Some apps are designed for the iPhone 6 and some for the Air 2, so you get different sizes. Also, they both have different stock apps.

Not so difficult to figure that out...

13. gantan88 macrumors newbie

Hi ZipZap,

What is your final capacity for IP6 and Ipad Air2?

My Ipad Air has 22GB at start. 10GB went to OS and apps.
    I can't imagine if i have bought the 16GB version.
    Oh my god.

14. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

^^^THIS^^^

Different devices will come with different apps loaded. Betting that is the difference. My Air 2 pads came loaded with software that me previous units did not have.