Actual capacity/size of ios7

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by duncanapple, Sep 15, 2013.

1. duncanapple macrumors 6502

Hi all,

I did a search and came up with nothing. Has anyone (running the beta or seen from a demo 5s) looked at what the available memory is for a 16gb iPhone running iOS7? For instance on iOS 6 the 16gb phone has about 13.6gb actually available for storage. I'm curious if ios7 is larger or smaller than ios6. I also wonder what the 64bit version of ios7 will weight in at; It'd be a different, potentially larger, os package, right?

Im likely going with a 16gb phone as I've pared down my music quite a bit. But if the os (given the drastic redesign) is much larger I'd maybe reconsider. My guess is apple wouldn't let that happen given the relatively little room to spare on these devices. But just worth the conversation I thought.

2. TrenttonY macrumors 6502a

3. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

i dont think the downloaded file size equals the installed size. dont forget the IPSW is a packaged file that needs extraction.

4. duncanapple thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the comments, guys. Do either of you have a 16gb phone with iOS7 installed? What does it say for total available (not used) memory?

5. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

13.3GB is the capacity on a 16GB iPhone with iOS 7 GM installed.

6. njn007, Sep 16, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2013

njn007 macrumors regular

njn007

Suggestion...

It should also be noted that iOS 7 will require a computer to be installed initially (because of the download size/speed, time, and the fact that the device would require lots of storage to download, extract, and such). OTA would just not be feasible here.

I personally would suggest getting it on a Mac/PC for faster speeds and so that the computer can worry about the space of the download (takes the load partially off of your iDevice). I personally achieve better speeds when getting larger updates through my Mac over doing it OTA.

I would presume that at least 2 gigs of free space would be needed- obviously some of your already occupied space from iOS 6 is going to be essentially replaced by iOS 7, but it's not a simple task in terms of space management.

7. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Not true at all..Anyone on iOS 6 can update to iOS 7 OTA, from their devices, as long as they are on wifi.

8. njn007 macrumors regular

njn007

Well I'm surprised it's possible- but personally I wouldn't suggest it. It'd be faster to do on my Mac- and plus less space on my iPhone would be required.

9. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Your mac would be on the same wifi connection as the iPhone, why would it be faster?

And yes, it will require a few GB of free space on the phone, just as does every OTA update.

10. njn007 macrumors regular

njn007

My Mac is always faster- it's positioned better and always gets a more stable speed, just as any device that isn't moving would.

11. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Well, if you sit where your Mac is, and update on the phone, wouldn't it be just as fast? It'd be positioned in the same, better area, and it wouldn't be moving. ;)

12. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

The Mac is faster because it has a much faster CPU to do the unpacking and checking of the .ipa file.

When you do an OTA update, it has to downalod the IPA and unpack it on the phone itself. The phone has a MUCH slower processor (a few orders of magnitude) so it takes longer.

13. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Still, many people will not have access to a computer, and even if you do, I think many would prefer the simplicity of just updating OTA from the device, than plugging in, opening iTunes, and updating via the computer just to save a few minutes. That's all :cool:

14. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Can anyone confirm the actual size of the OS, not the size of the installer?