Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goodcow

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 4, 2007
I have an octo-core 4,1 with the 4870 inside and an apartment with terrible air flow, so it's always at least 10F hotter than outside, even with the window wide open (there's a single window overlooking an alley).

Since it seems to be well known that the 4870 was a power hog, I was just curious if anyone had actual numbers on the power consumption differences between a 4870 and 5770 both at idle and under load. I don't really game, but I'm considering spending the $224 with Edu discount to save power and reduce BTU output. Or maybe this is just a silly idea.

Thanks.

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
Nice. Thanks. I couldn't seem to find anything like this, perhaps because I was being too specific and putting "mac" in the search query.

Yeah, I've done a few hundred such searches and never came across that site either. Then someone here posted it. :)

The older cards also have benchmarks in the comparison lists - which is even cooler.

This site uses tested results under 100% loads: http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2012-vga-gpgpu/23-Power-Consumption-Load,2981.html

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.