'Actual' Video iPod in 2006?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Analyst Charles Wolf reports that he expects new product introductions by Apple to accelerate in 2006 and the Intel-transition will "materially" increase Mac sales.

Also expected is an "actual" video iPod in the first half of this year, along with "major content deals" alongside a revamped Mac mini.

We would not be surprised to see the Mac mini assume its rightful place in the living room as a digital entertainment server.
Its unclear if these expectations represent actual knowledge, it may more simply represent educated speculation based on previous rumors.

Piarco

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
Londinium
Gotta love analysts! :D
Can't say a full video iPod would interest me, only because it would see no use due to my commuting. The current iPod is fine for my needs.
And can anyone clarify the "materially" increase Mac sales? Am I right to assume he is infereing it as a superficial increase due to the switch to Intel?

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2004
i dunno.. with the psp out, i mean apple already has the ipod that can "handle" video as in simple tv shows and what not.. now if they are going to make a specific "video/movie" ipod, i don't think they will call it ipod.. perhaps media center or something of that nature

emulator

macrumors 6502a
I think it's be a bad idea. Look at the Archos, it is out for how many years, 4-5? And who cares?!?!
The device gotta do much more than just playing video or music. People won't buy it over a PSP just because it has the Apple logo. Or who knows... :eek:

Piarco

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
Londinium
w_parietti22 said:
4.5" Wide Screen iPod here we come! :) maybe sideways on the body like the PSP.
Dunno about the dimensions, but I think that's pretty much what I had in mind. No idea about the controls though. On-screen scroll wheel? Located on the edges?

I still believe this will have limited appeal... but definitely don't quote me on that :D

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
TheMasin9 said:
what does "actual" mean, does this mean that the device will be devoted solely to video?
He doesn't say. What he does say, without specifics, is that the first iPod line that handles video may be a "holdover" while better models are in the works.

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
San Jose, CA
Jobs has said that downloading movies and hour-long TV shows just takes too long. Streaming video would be nice, but you would have to be perennially connected to a wired or wireless network. Or you could record shows from TV, cable or satellite to the video iPod or transfer prerecorded content from a PVR or video camera. I'm not sure whether most buyers of such devices would use it more than a few times before getting tired of the hassles. If anyone can make such a device practical to use every day, it is Apple.

Apple has to be wondering how they can maintain sales momentum of the iPod line. 14 million units in Q4 was very impressive, but can it continue without new innovations?

boombashi

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2005
emulator said:
I think it's be a bad idea. Look at the Archos, it is out for how many years, 4-5? And who cares?!?!
Exactly, look at the Archos :p

emulator said:
The device gotta do much more than just playing video or music. People won't buy it over a PSP just because it has the Apple logo. Or who knows... :eek:
How many video iPods did they sell this holiday season? Nah, people don't want those things ;) PSP is a much better video playing experience, it's soooo easy to get video on those things and there is so much storage capacity and battery life ;)

supergod

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2004
Toronto
I like the names: iScreen, iTheatre. Realistically though, they'd have to call it an iPod if it wasn't part of their mac line and they wanted to capitalize on their success.

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
Doctor Q said:
He doesn't say. What he does say, without specifics, is that the first iPod line that handles video may be a "holdover" while better models are in the works.
Well, that's a pretty obvious observation on his part isn't it?

It's like saying the 1st generation iPod was a "holdover" while the new and improved 2nd generation iPod was in the works, which was a "holdover" for the 3rd generation... and so on...

There will always be new and improved versions of everything Apple makes. See, I'm a brilliant analyst too. :D

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Frankly I'd mug* someone for a video iPod at this point. Not a used video iPod though. One right out of the store. I do have standards after all.

*Just kidding

Manatee

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2003
Washington DC
I'm still hoping for a video iPod in the same size and shape as the current one, but where the screen covers most of the front of the device. A virtual scroll wheel would be brought up via a button on the side or something.

Nice to have:
- WVGA resolution.
- Touch-sensitive screen, allowing input via something like Graffiti.
- WiFi (802.11g or better) & Bluetooth
- Nuclear power -- change tiny "power pellet" every couple of years.

freeny

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2005
Come on guys! Everyone was Bi*ching that the original iPod video would never work before its release and look at it now!:eek: I cant wait for a video centric iPod!!!

Bigger screen!
More codec support!

Im sure it will be a seperate design from the existing iPods and they will still carry the regular iPods.

It will just cater to a more videocentric consumer like myself.

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
boombashi said:
How many video iPods did they sell this holiday season? Nah, people don't want those things ;) PSP is a much better video playing experience, it's soooo easy to get video on those things and there is so much storage capacity and battery life ;)
Yeah... if the PSP had a 60Gb hard drive in it to store video/mp3's, it would be much more attractive.

boombashi

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2005
obeygiant said:
they better not be making a new iPod. im scheduled to get one next month.
I don't think they will replace the line quite yet, maybe just augment it with a higher end model. You are probably safe...but who knows. But I still have an iPod Photo and iPod 3G that both still plays music just fine even though there are new models out ;) I would love an iPod with true video capabilities but I've been holding out for this mythical beast (which has already been rumored months ago BTW). I can also almost guarantee that we will need to buy all new iPod accessories for this new player.:D

PhilaScott

macrumors regular
I would be SO on board with a second generation of video iPod that has the capability of taking movies on the road provided they beef up the battery life/capacity! I held off buying the video iPod because, well, I had just purchased the iPod nano when it came out... restrain on this single income household always rules the day.

And as far as a digital home entertainment hub a la the Mac mini? Well, again, my wallet will be ready to jump out of my back pocket for that, BUT not as a first adopter... I'll wait for rev. B on that product even if it kills me to have to wait!

freeny

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2005
boombashi said:
So much storage capacity???:confused:

In order to get the same storage capacity as a 60gb iPod on a psp it will cost you $6000!:eek:

MacFan782040

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2003
Scranton, PA
I think they should improve the existing iPod with Video first.

1) Longer battery life. If I want to watch an hour show, that kills my battery life if I want to listen to music later in the day.

2) Bundle a iPod video conversion program with iTunes. Or better yet, build it into iTunes. 95% of people with iPod video's don't know how to get them on the iPod. And when they realize you need a convertor, their too lazy to do it.

macintel4me

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
boombashi said:
... I would love an iPod with true video capabilities but I've been holding out for this mythical beast ...
True video capabilities like what? The current video iPod seems pretty good.

boombashi

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2005
atari1356 said:
Yeah... if the PSP had a 60Gb hard drive in it to store video/mp3's, it would be much more attractive.
True, but if Apple comes out with a 4" sceen iPod with a 60GB hard drive and decent battery life, the PSP will appear a lot less attractive as a video player...it also has a lot to do with the ease of use of the iPod, and it's integration with iTunes.