Acura ILX?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by yg17, Oct 7, 2012.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Anyone have one of these or driven one of these? I currently have a 2009 VW Golf GTI but have been considering trading it in. It will soon be out of warranty and just had a major coolant leak and water pump repair a couple weeks ago ($1400 repair done under warranty) but I'm concerned this might be the tip of the iceberg and I prefer having a car under warranty anyways. Also looking for something a bit better on gas, cheaper on insurance (which I've verified the ILX is) and perhaps a bit more luxurious.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this car from experience? The engine would be a 50 horsepower downgrade, which sucks, but I feel like I'm getting past the point in my life where I need to drive like an idiot, although I'll make that determination when I eventually test drive one. I'd like to get the manual ILX with the higher HP engine (I think 200 - same as my GTI) but you can't get that with navigation, and TBH, I'd probably sacrifice a manual and power before the navigation because that's something I'd really like to have built in and not have to worry anymore if someone's going to do a smash and grab on my Garmin.

2. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

Do you believe something major will fail next on the VW? The ILX looks nice, it just never really struck me as an epic option...then again I haven't driven one. One of my favorite tech reviewers commented on it not too long ago:

3. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

They don't sell Acura cars where I live, but what I understand is that they are trying to be luxury but will never manage it to the level you might find in Mercedes-Benz or BMW, so there isn't much point in having one.

You are going from a medium sized car - why do you feel the need to upgrade to such a large car? Are there no cars in the same segment as your Golf that suit your needs?

What about a Ford Focus? It will be cheap on insurance and economical if you get a good engine, as well as being a great car with a lot of tech. Plus when you take it for repairs it won't cost a fortune.

Also if it gets cold where you live you can get an optional heated front windscreen. It is patented by Ford so you can only get it on Ford and Jaguar cars, but it is totally worth the extra so that in the morning when it's frosty you just press a button and a minute or so later you can drive away with a perfectly clear view.

(Full disclosure: I drive a Ford Fiesta and love it!)

4. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Those are out of my price range

An ILX is based off the Honda Civic and about the same size. I know Europeans have different definitions of car sizes than we do, but I think even Europeans wouldn't classify the ILX as a large car.

My family has owned some Fords in the past and had bad experiences. Same for the other American makes. Don't care if they've improved, I've been permanently turned off of them.

5. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

It's probably too new for anyone to have much experience with it. The ILX just came out, and given Acura's sales numbers, I doubt many people have bought one.

Anyway, it is basically an upgraded Civic. From what I have seen, the interior seems to be a big improvement over the Civic, which is a good thing. That split level dash is annoying. I'm a bit puzzled about this car, though, as it seems to be taking the place of the TSX, yet the TSX is still around.

Mechanically, it is a Civic, so it should be reliable. They also seem to have improved the interior enough to be a good upgrade, but I don't know if it warrants its price.

6. slick316 macrumors 6502

I have a 2012 TL and test drove the ILX when I was getting my oil changed not too long ago.

The ILX looks nice in person, I like the overall exterior looks of it over my TL. The inside was equally as nice, and surprisingly roomy. I didn't expect it to feel as spacious as it did.
    I enjoyed the quality of the ride and low noise levels, but the 150hp 2.0L is pretty weak overall. Its an odd choice of engine for this car, but I think Acura's stance on it is that the car is meant for a demographic that does not care about speed but rather fuel economy.
    It also comes with tech that is similar to the TL, with some stuff being better in the ILX.
    For the money, I'd look at the new 2013 Accord. I test drove the model with the new 2.4L Direct Injection motor and CVT and found it quite enjoyable, and its hard to argue 27mpg city and 36 highway.

7. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

AFAIK the 2013 model year is the last for the TSX. Shame too, because I really like the TSX, but I was checking inventory for the dealers near me, one has no TSXes in stock, and the other has 4 so maybe they're winding down production. I also don't like the fact that the TSX doesn't offer a smart key with keyless/button start. I know it's a gimmicky feature, but I had a rental with it a few months ago and really liked it, not having to dig through your pockets for your keys is great, especially when your hands are full. It's something I'd like on my next car.

Rumor has it they're axing the TSX and TL and coming out with a TLX, which is supposed to be somewhere between the two, I guess in size and price. I may wait and see what that's about.

Yup, the engine is what I don't like about the car. I'd have to test drive one to be sure, but I have a feeling coming from a 200hp/207ft-lbs torque, this engine would feel like a huge downgrade. But I'll have to go out and test drive one and see.

I'll take a look at the Accord too.

8. Gman2012 macrumors newbie

ILX owner here

Hey! I haven't been on this site in so long that I have forgotten my user info. Anyways, I purchased a 2013 Acura ILX last month. I love it! I upgraded from a 2009 Honda Civic EX. I got the ILX with tech package in polished metallic, with black leather, rear top spoiler.
    This is my first taste of a "luxury" class car. I suppose the entry price range of the ILX enabled me to purchase into this "class". I had looked into Lexus and Acura TL. But settled with the ILX.
    Although I only gained 10hp from my Civic, I definitely can feel the difference in the gear shifting. So much smoother. I'm currently getting 31 mpg on a 17 mi (one way) California commute. Usually takes me 40 minutes to travel the 17 miles which tells you how much traffic I have to deal with. So I think I'm getting a pretty good mpg. I was getting slightly better (33mpg) with my civic.
    I love tech and gadgets. So the GPS, bluetooth, XM radio, auto dimming rearview mirror, remote/keyless entry and rearview camera are great. I realize the ILX does not have the power of most "luxury" cars. But it's good enough for my commuting. So far I have no regrets.

9. magbarn macrumors 68000

As long as the TSX is available, the ILX is a PASS. The TSX platform is a much more substantial car with double wishbone suspension, much better engine (unless you're willing to buy the stickshift ILX, but then you lose navi - dumb Acura trim decisions). I'd look harder for a TSX that you want, they're selling for very little more than the ILX. The start-stop button is a overrated gimmick, you get over it in a week.

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I don't own an ILX but am a very happy Acura driver. I'm on my 6th Acura and have loved every one of them. I find them to be a great value for all the bells and whistles you get. Never had to do anything other than routine maintenance on any of them.

11. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

6??

What time-frame have you been using for turning them over, and are these leased, or purchased then traded/re-sold?

signed Curious.

12. HE15MAN macrumors 6502a

HE15MAN

Why not just buy a G35. Much much nicer cars.

13. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

I love the my g37 convertible ... I would look at a g37 sedan before an entry level acura

14. Moopy Sac macrumors member

Moopy Sac

A base G Sedan is $11K more than an Acura ILX. Not the same market segments.

15. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

Who even looks at MSRP pricing?

I was offered a brand new g37 journey model for $30,500 +tax and tags.

16. Moopy Sac, Oct 9, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2012

Moopy Sac macrumors member

Moopy Sac

Really? That is well below dealer cost (including holdback).

And what dealer? I'd like to get in on that deal.

EDIT: Are you talking about 2012? If so, that's a really good deal on a 2012 G37, but the 2013 G37 is still going to be $8-11K more than the ILX. I'm not sure how you can argue they are in similar market segments. Even with the year difference you are looking at at least $5500.

17. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

I looked at a TSX yesterday, was none too impressed with the salesman which is unfortunate because they're right down the street from me and convenient. But after getting insurance quotes for replacing my car with a TSX, I'm leaning towards the ILX. The ILX would be a modest premium decrease, I'll probably head over to the other Acura dealer near me later this week and take a look.

The TSX isn't completely eliminated from contention - the insurance premium is still cheaper than what I was paying for the GTI when new and if the right deal could be made, it would negate a premium increase. I really have to drive both though and see if I would miss that 50 horsepower in the ILX.

18. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

Here it is on truecar.com for $31,300, but you can always beat that price with end of the year clearance pricing.

http://www.truecar.com/prices-new/infiniti/g25-sedan-pricing/2012/88DE6A71/

And the dealer I purchased my vehicle from was Jim Coleman Infiniti in Bethesda, Md. 1-877- 463-7908. Ask for Vince he was the assistant sales manager that I worked with. Post pics when you get one, its always nice to help out a future Infiniti owner.

They also had a 18 month lease special on it, not sure if its still in play for $259/month

19. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

That's a G25, which has been discontinuted

20. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

I had a first gen TSX and it ran reliably for 95,000 miles until I traded it in. I did have to get a new automatic trans, but it was under warranty. Other than maintenance, no other repairs.

I had a current generation TSX as a loaner and it was kind of soft. Comfortable, but unexciting. I get the same impression from all of Acura's models. They're expensive, reliable, but utterly boring.

21. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Yeah, after seeing this thread, I decided to go check out the ILX on Acura's site. It's really weird that you can't get the Tech package with the manual and upgraded engine at all. You can't even add it as an option.

22. puma1552 macrumors 601

Benz and BMW are in a completely different price bracket. A base, stripped out, no option, halogen headlight, leatherette, no moonroof, manual seat, no heated seat 128i starts around $32k. Put all those mentioned options that a car with a BMW moniker should really have standard on it and it's $40k. I even saw a $51k Mercedes GLK 350 the other night at the dealer with the same crappy halogen headlights that come in $15k cars. Really Mercedes? Halogen headlights in a $50k 2013 Mercedes? That's an insult to the consumer. I digress...

I briefly considered the ILX as well. I think they overdid it with the bottom of that front bumper, but otherwise the styling is fine. Not a bad looking car. At the end of the day though I was really disappointed to learn that it's based on a Honda Civic. I couldn't stomach the thought of paying $30k for a luxury Civic. Underneath, it's still a Civic. Ouch. The other thing is that as soon as I sat in it, it was a dead ringer Honda...no question about it. Dim white gauges that look really dated (hate compared to my wife's '12 Beetle with super bright white gauges) and the enormous center stack. Not really a fan of Honda's dash boards...too boring and dated IMO.

A gimmick? The only thing you'll get over in a week is having to ever dig out your keys. It's SO NICE to be able to go straight from home into the car and out of the car all day long never ever needing to take the keys out. Once you have it you will never, ever want another car where you have to use the key.

I don't know OP...do you want an expensive Civic from a brand that is having an identity crisis and not selling well?

23. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

I'm actually going to take a look at the TSX this weekend, it's a lot better value for money than the ILX (A TSX with the tech package is roughly $2,000 more than an ILX with the tech package) and I can live without a smart key. I've done it this long. It was nice when I had it in a rental recently, but the car was a Prius and I think my mind was just trying to find something about the car to like, because let's face it, there's nothing to like about a Prius.

24. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I currently have a non-tech TSX. Downgraded from a TL with tech package and while I miss the bigger engine and a few toys, the TSX is a solid car.

As for the push button start, I really miss it. 22 months from having it, I still often go to push a button even with the key in my hand.

25. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

As a female who has been in your previous TL, I was all giddy to see the coolness beaming off of you when you pushed a button to start your car. :D So, chicks dig it.