Ad a printer works - Printing does not - Leopard OS

Discussion in 'macOS' started by WirelessInn, Nov 8, 2007.

1. WirelessInn macrumors regular

Greetings,

Having trouble with setting printing on the following config:
    MacBookPro - Leopard >> Wireless connection to WinXP machine (connection works) >>> and then to Dell 3100 printer USB connected to the Win machine.

Networking and file sharing OK across network - Printer sharing set OK on the Win machine - Printer recognized and apparently installed on MAc. BUT, when I try to print from the MAC to the Dell printer, no printing takes place. +Printer is "PAUSED" and message: "Unable to connect to CIFS host....." appears when checking the Print Queue.

The DELL printer was installed & operated OK for MAC before I upgraded to Leopard from Tiger.

Everything else very OK with Leopard!

Thanks for any help!

- Roger T

2. IzzyJG99 macrumors 6502

I just added a printer today to my 10.5.0. It's that new black Epson printer on the commercial CS120 or whatever. It added well and worked. I imagine the PC printers are a bit...iffy still in 10.5.0 this close to release date.

3. WirelessInn thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. Izzy for the prompt answer and pointers.

I have located and successfully installed the proper Dell driver for the Mac. Seems to be OK: the features of the Dell are now accessible on the Mac.
    But, still cannot print from the Mac to the Dell printer via the networked Win machine!!

Meanwhile, I do have all network connections functioning well - I can see the Win computer on the network to which the printer is connected...

Oh well, puzzling! Anything else you might think of?

just for the record, this is how I installed the printer in the first place:

>System Preferences
    >Print & Fax
    >Clicked on PLUS sign to ad printer
    >Clicked on "Windows" on he upcoming screen - saw my workgroup appear
    >Clicked on the workgroup involving my MAC and the networked Win machine
    >Clicked on the network Win machine connected with the Dell printer
    >Eventually Dell printer appeared and I selected the new Dell driver
    >Printer installed well - with all Dell options available.

- Roger T

4. IzzyJG99 macrumors 6502

I have to setup some Dell printer (Big all in one thing) for a friends Dell laptop. I am dreading it.

5. WirelessInn thread starter macrumors regular

That Dell 3100cn I have now: very nice quality printer for an older model. I'll use it while it lasts!
    - rt

6. Avatar74 macrumors 65816

That sounds like some nasty jerry-rigging there. I would strongly recommend a router with a USB print server port. I have an HP Laserjet 2100N with JetDirect Ethernet and that is really the way to do network printing... IP printing. I do realize not everyone can afford a network printer but I am not sure why Ethernet isn't more common on printers except I suppose USB is dirt cheap by comparison.

Print sharing is something I will never do. IP printing is too easy and too fast to give up.

7. WirelessInn thread starter macrumors regular

You know, Avatar, you are right. Time to switch to network printing. My Dell 3100 can easily be set as such and this WILL make things easier to connect!
    Pb resolved!
    Thanks!
    =RT

8. WirelessInn thread starter macrumors regular

Greetings:

OK, solution to this nasty new problem, for what it is worth!

Forum participant "Camotec" at

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=5852413

Has provided a solution to the printing difficulties encountered under Leopard, especially to shared printers connected to another machine (Windows) on a network.

Here is his advice/step by step - worked for me, finally!

"Hey guys,

I have the solution for you.

Prerequisites: 1. your windows PC with the printer on it needs to have an admin account on it with a single word no spaces. (preferred unix) 2. your printer sharename is a single word (ie. Canon iP4300 should be just ip4300).

Now follow the below steps:

1. Open your system preferences > Open Print & Fax
    +2. Click + to add a printer.+
    3. Right-click on the Toolbar at the top and select "Customise Toolbar..."
    4. Drag the "Advanced" icon to the toolbar & select "Done"
    5. Click the "Advanced" icon
    6. Select "Windows" from the "Type:" drop down menu
    7. In the "URL:" textbox type the location of your windows printer in the format below (use the format depending on whether your Windows PC sharing the Printer has a password or not):
    smb://username:password@ipaddress/printersharename <- Print Server does have a password
    smb://username@ipaddress/printersharename <- Print Server does NOT have a password
    (eg. smb://barney@125.254.95.101/ip4300)
    8. Enter a Name and Location. (Human Friendly Names with Spaces are allowed)
    9. Now select the appropriate driver and then click "Add"
    10. Try printing somthing and then it will ask for a username and password of your windows server. Type and username and then the password and then add this to your keychain and click OK.

And there you go. Printing in OSX 10.5

Cheers
    Ben Camilleri
    Camotec Web Solutions
    ben@camotec.com.au
    http://www.camotec.com.au "

Now, of course, I have to figure out how to point my MBP to a shared printer located on another - Win - machine on the network, WITH A DHCP, dynamic IP assigned. A minor wish actually...

Roger T

9. PhotoPhoenix macrumors member

PhotoPhoenix

i give up..

trying to make printer sharing work with mac and windows is a pain. it's ONE CLICK with macs. i go to my dad's iMac and click printer share. that's all. with windows it's this huge deal. ugh..