AD Blocker APP on iPad ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by augustya, Dec 14, 2018.

1. augustya macrumors 68030

augustya

I haven't eve used any sort of Ad Blocker app on my iPad, but just watched a video where the guy was recommending it. I wanted to know does it make any difference if you have the Ad Blocker on versus not using it ? he says, that shows a lot less Ads In Safari versus not using it ? is this any true ?

Can someone recommend a good Ad Blocker ?

2. iGeneo macrumors member

iGeneo

Will very much make an improvement

I use 1BlockerX and have been very happy with the results

3. augustya thread starter macrumors 68030

augustya

This is little expensive Man, around $6 !!

Any free options available ?

4. StigDK macrumors newbie

StigDK

Use AdGuard....brilliant product

5. StellarVixen macrumors 65816

StellarVixen

Well, I am using Wipr, which works in Safari. So far, so good.

On iOS, ad blockers have to be distributed via the App Store, only. That is already a cost in itself, so it is unreasonable to expect it to be free. Free apps are supported by ad revenue, and it is hypocritical beyond all means for ad blocker apps to make the revenue via...ads.

6. Robertjan88 macrumors regular

AdGuard. Free and solid. Using this for my laptop browser as well and is very well regarded. :)

7. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I suggest Firefox Focus. Free, and I trust Firefox more than any random developer.

8. windywalks macrumors 6502

I have Block Bear. No ads, just flip a switch and that's it. Can't attest to others since once I started using this one I had no reason to try them.

9. Spoon! macrumors 6502

Spoon!

This is all I’ll ever use. It’s the best, IMO.

But like others have said, if you want free, then AdGuard is what you want.

I don’t like these because neither offer customization.

AdGuard is free with no ads. There are other free ad blockers that don’t have ads either. You don’t seem to have much experience with ad blockers in iOS.

10. augustya thread starter macrumors 68030

augustya

Does it work with iOS and also does it work with Safari and all the there APPS or does it work only if I use Mozilla as my Web Browser ?

11. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

It’s both a browser and an ad blocker for iOS. You can turn on the ad blocking function to work in Safari the same as any other ad blocker.

12. Spoon! macrumors 6502

Spoon!

Firefox Focus sucks for ads. I’m not sure why it’s even being suggested here. Firefox Focus blocks trackers and it does add that same functionality for Safari when it’s installed, but if that’s all you have, you’re still going to be seeing ads. It blocks some ads, but sucks in comparison to AdGuard or 1BlockerX.

13. Robertjan88 macrumors regular

Agree! Apart from that Safari will always be the fastest AND when you open an hyperlink from an app, iOS will always open Safari. ;)

14. mofunk macrumors 68020

mofunk

I use AdBlock on my Mac and iOS devices. AdBlock was one of the Safari Extension I saw on Apple's site years ago. I thought I would try it on my iPad because one of the sites I go to has a lot of stuff popping up. Works great. Easy to navigate when needing to turn off.

https://getadblock.com

15. bcaslis macrumors 68020

1BlockerX is the best. Honestly if you can't afford $6 for an app, you shouldn't have an iPad.

16. ProteinePlus macrumors newbie

But didn’t 1BlockerX got restricted by the new Apple rules?

17. bcaslis macrumors 68020

No, still works fine.

18. doboy macrumors 68020

You can use Firefox Focus as a content blocker for Safari. Sucks you can't whitelist things

19. Spoon! macrumors 6502

Spoon!

That was AdGuard. They had to change the way their app worked. Might’ve been 1Blocker as well. Apple changed a few things that affected ad blockers.

20. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Have to 100% disagree here as the person who suggested it. It’s the only ad-blocker I have installed. I see essentially zero ads on any site. All of my browsing is in Safari.

21. JonnyBlaze macrumors regular

22. Never mind macrumors regular

Never mind

23. DoubleFlyaway macrumors 6502a

DoubleFlyaway

Someone on here recommended AdBlock to me about a year ago, and I’ve been using it on all of my devices since. Seems to do the job well.

24. gilby101 macrumors member

There are two AdGuards for iOS:
    1. AdGuard: The free Safari ad-blocker.
    2. AdGuard Pro: Blocks ads in all browsers. Not free, pulled by Apple a few months ago (but works fine for those that have it). This uses the 'VPN' method to intervene in the network stack. Seems a bit inconsistent to me as Apple allows other apps using that method - e.g. DNSCloak and Cloudflare's 1.1.1.1.
    AdGuard's business model has both free apps (without ads) and paid apps. The paid apps have more features.