Ad blocker for iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LinMac, Jul 22, 2008.

1. LinMac macrumors 65816

This has been at the top of my wish list since the first iPhone was released. The Mobile Safari browser is great, but it can be rendered useless sometimes with all the advertisements scattered all over some pages.

Has there been any work done in this area that I am not aware of?

2. higgalls macrumors regular

Yeah it would be a great idea to have an ad-blocker, but I would assume that Apple would need to implement this, as my guess is that you cannot install plugins for Safari that a 3rd party makes.

3. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

just be thankful it doesnt have flash as well, i think a lot of people hoping for flash forget about this sort of thing.

4. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

The ad block plus with filter set seems to work very well on firefox. no idea if they could port it in, or make a firefox app with addons that could bolt in...

5. higgalls macrumors regular

Yeah I think it would need to be an app with it actually built in. I doubt firefox will come out for the iPhone though.

6. LinMac thread starter macrumors 65816

The iPhone seems to ignore the local hosts file. I don't particularly care how it is implemented (jailbreak or not), but the thing needs an ad blocker badly. I went through the browsing history and then looked at how much of the data downloaded was actually for advertisements. Heh.. 40% is a bit much.