Ad blocker for Safari - recomendations?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Rahidjam, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Rahidjam macrumors newbie

I'm old Windows user and my main browser there is Firefox that has NoScript and AdBlockPlus

Now I got this new little neat Mac and installed Firefox there with NoScript and AdBlockPlus.

But I don't know what to do with the native bowser Safari. In Windows I gladly ignored IE even existed, but Safari is lot more incorporated and seems lot more useful than IE, so I'd like to put adblock on it.

Seems like NoScript does not work for Safari unfortunately.

Would it be fine to just install AdBlockPlus (that I'm used to) to Safari or would it not work well with it?

2. campyguy macrumors 68040

uBlock Origin beta for Safari.

I'm using uBlock Origin for Chrome, Opera, and FF as well. This, coming from a paid user of ABP. Cheers.

3. flyingspur macrumors regular

flyingspur

4. Fishrrman macrumors G4

There are an increasing number of websites that try to "lock out" anyone using an adblocker. I'm sure most folks reading this have encountered one or more of them.

Are there any adblocking extensions out there that can "fool" these sites?

That is to say, can they "convey back" to the sites that ads are being "accepted" at the client (user) end, and then somehow "divert them" so they actually are NOT being displayed to the user? And then display the sites, sans ads?

If not, the current crop of ad blockers are no longer sufficiently savvy enough to meet the needs of end users.

What's needed are either browsers that can literally "trick" websites that ads are being accepted (but NOT displayed), or, adblocking software that can do as much!

5. rshrugged macrumors 6502a

To a certain extent, uBlock and uBlock Origin have optional third-party filters to achieve this. The options exist in or can be added to other blockers, as well. They are Adblock Warning Removal List (<- about 2/3 down on page) and Anti-Adblock Killer.