ad-blocker & snow leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by slieu92, Oct 22, 2009.

1. slieu92 macrumors regular

anyone gotten an ad-blocker working on snow leopard?

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

3. jdavtz macrumors 6502a

GlimmerBlocker. Free.

Works for 64 bit safari.

Works for Firefox at the same time (if you check the 'use system proxy' setting in Firefox).

4. Keleko macrumors 68000

I had problems with GlimmerBlocker. It didn't suit my needs. Some pages don't work with ads blocked, and unblocking those pages was more difficult to do with GlimmerBlocker. I've switched to using ClickToFlash. It doesn't block all the ads, since it isn't an ad blocker, but the Flash ads are the most annoying anyway. It also helps curtail the too-flashy web pages. An added bonus is that Youtube videos can be set to load with quicktime instead of Flash.

5. fishmoose macrumors 68000

I use that, but I'm a little worried what they send back to there servers you really never know with proxies.

6. sharkync macrumors regular

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I use Adblock for Safari. It works flawlessly but you have to run Safari in 32-bit mode though it doesn't make any difference

8. zw-gator macrumors 6502a

zw-gator

THANK YOU FOR THIS!!!

I've been seeing ads since moving to 10.6 (6 weeks ago) and didn't want to run an adblocker forcing Safari to run in 32-bit mode.

9. BollywooD macrumors 6502

BollywooD

I have actually just finished updating SafariBlock for 64bit goodness.

I have renamed it:
    Safari AdBlocker
    :D

Safari AdBlocker has support for AdBlock Plus filter subscriptions.

10. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

GlimmerBlocker is a local proxy, not hosted by someone else. I've found it works better than SafariBlock and Safari Adblock did in Leopard, and it's easy to add custom filters. Doesn't beat Adblock+ in Firefox of course since it's not a browser plugin, but it's the next best thing and works for any app that uses the global proxy settings.

11. fishmoose macrumors 68000

Oh I see, that's nice! Then I will continue enjoying it. It has worked great for me to.

12. ZizousamA macrumors member

Anyone knows how to get these blockers to block Hulu ads? I've been using Adblock in leopard with great results. Since I upgraded to SL, I used Glimmer Blocker and others, but they don't block Hulu.

13. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Installed this today and it works well. This is the same dev that makes Safari Cookies and he is very responsive. Plus the apps are free. :)

14. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

Thanks a ton! Finally, I can use Safari again.

15. gaz617 macrumors member

I'm in the UK so I don't know if it will work on Hulu but you can try Click2Flash which blocks flash ads http://github.com/rentzsch/clicktoflash

16. AzureCloud macrumors member

What are the disadvantages to using SIMBL plugins? I have heard a number of long-time Mac users mention that they stayed away from SIMBL. I never have had any problems with those types of plugins myself, but I am certainly not the most experienced with OS X.

Also, for Glimmerblocker, is it possible for programs or incoming connections to use the proxy to bypass the OS X firewall? I would like to give Glimmerblocker a try, but I am a little concerned about system security.

17. gzz macrumors newbie

Awesome! And finally blocking flash works again, too!

I have but one great wish: Could you allow us to use more than one subscription, like Safari AdBlock does? It's quite important if you don't only visit english pages. Thanks!

18. virgomac macrumors member

Tried the old one, but found that it didn't block elements near as effectively as AdBlock Pro for Firefox. Thought I'd give this one a try to see if things had improved.

While I did notice that there was a good deal of improvement, there were still quite a few elements that it left slip. It definitely seems to have a problem with flash elements. With the abundance of such in web pages this is a bit of a problem for me. I really hoped that this would let me move away from Firefox and finally start using Safari, but alas, doesn't seem so.