Ad blocking for Safari 4 Beta

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by philosopherdog, Feb 24, 2009.

1. philosopherdog macrumors 6502a

philosopherdog

Seems Glimmerblocker isn't working with the beta release of Safari 4. Anyone have any luck blocking ads? Also, I'd love to block flash. The inability to block flash is probably the main reason I could never use Safari full time. The browser looks amazing and is very snappy, but alas.... I need plugin support.

2. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

SafariBlock works like a charm.

3. quovadis macrumors regular

quovadis

Agree. But I noted that in the "Show top sites" view the ads show up. No big deal. Just an observation

4. Sorkvild macrumors 6502

5. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Try reloading those after you've installed SafariBlock.
    TopSites remembers an image of the page after you've visited. So just give it a chance to reload that page in there, and the ads should be gone...

6. glasserp macrumors regular

Just want to point out that one of glimmer blocker's big points was saying that it wouldn't be broken by safari because it's not an input manager. It should be working:

7. Tastannin macrumors 6502

Tastannin

FWIW, ClickToFlash is working with the Safari 4 Beta. It was already installed in my Safari 3 setup, and when I installed the Safari 4 Beta, it just worked. Love it. :)

8. philosopherdog thread starter macrumors 6502a

philosopherdog

Thanx for the replies. I emailed the Glimmerblocker folks and we'll see what they have to say. If I find out anything I'll post it.

9. philosopherdog thread starter macrumors 6502a

philosopherdog

Ok, I think Glimmerblocker does work with the new Safari. I just disabled it and then enable it and it seems to be doing its magic. Now if only you could block flash in safari.

10. NeXTLoop macrumors member

NeXTLoop

GlimmerBlock is working fine for me with Safari 4.

11. glasserp macrumors regular

well you can with clicktoflash.

12. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

I second that. Glimmerblocker works for me too. Just the odd ad that somehow gets through but no biggie.

13. glasserp macrumors regular

Is anyone using Glimmerblocker with LittleSnitch? Someone posted a comment at macupdate that I didnt quite understand?

Can someone explain to me what this person is talking about?

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's nonsense, and nothing but marketing misdirection on the part of GlimmerBlocker. I use both SafariBlock and Safari AdBlock:
    • They are NOT "awful" hacks of Safari.
    • They do NOT compromise the stability of Safari.
    • They do NOT create problems when updating Safari.
    • They do NOT compromise the stability of Safari.
    • They do NOT "break" when updating Safari.
    • They DO run fine on Safari 4 Beta and nightly builds of WebKit.
    I've never had a problem with pages loading, CPU usage, conflicts, compatibility, upgrades.... no problems at all. GlimmerBlocker is just trying to talk trash about their competitors to get more people to use their product.

15. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Using the InputManager system to modify other applications definitely counts as an awful hack in my book. The intent of the InputManager API is completely different, it's only a convenient (and fragile) side effect that allows it to be used this way.

APE is somewhat better, but it's still very very easy for haxies to make assumptions about the internals of a program that change between versions. Anyone relying on scrollable areas of web pages being WebDynamicScrollViews would be broken by Safari 4, for example (older versions of Adium did this).

As an additional note, all the WebKit/Safari team members I've spoken to about the matter have mentioned that Safari modifications that rely on private details of the implementation are a serious problem for them, and one of the most common causes of crashes. Typically that's things like Saft or PithHelmet, not ad blockers, but something like ClickToFlash or GlimmerBlocker really is less fragile.

16. lanaer macrumors newbie

LittleSnitch works by examining what apps send out information on the network. If you setup a system-wide proxy, like GlimmerBlocker, LittleSnitch will *only* see GlimmerBlocker connecting. Any app that uses the system-wide proxy configuration (and not all do, like Firefox) will be hidden from LittleSnitch, which substantially reduced its usefulness.

17. nfable macrumors regular

nfable

Another one

I use Pithhelmet myself, sometimes it takes a few weeks for an upgrade to match a new release of Safari; but its shareware and I don't get all the annoying little 'bug you' graphics.

nf